Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Many free plants

Posted by karalynn z9 FL Inverness%2 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 7, 11 at 7:54

A friend of mine is loosing her house due to foreclosure and we are trying to strip her yard of as many plants as we can. She had done quite a bit of gardening in the past so there are many plants that need new homes and I can not possible take them all. If anyone in the Citrus county area would be interested in some of the plants please e-mail me. This coming saturday, Nov. 12, would be the best time to come get them. My friend asked me to handle relocating her plants for her as she is busy packing.

The list of plants needing new homes include
various color canna
a large pink turks cap
agapanthus
four oclocks
what I think is a type of jasmine
shrimp plant
umbrella sedge
possibly some aloe and elephant ears
bottlebrush tree
possibly a very large cassia if I can't figure out how to move it myself.

I know there are a lot more plants then that but the garden has become rather overgrown and I can't quite tell were everything is.

I'm also offering up some extra plants from my house, including candleabra cassia, sago plams, and cast iron plants.

Kara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Many free plants

Kara, that's a beautiful offer, out of your friend's misfortune. I hope you get some takers, as there are many who would enjoy something new. I'm in Fort Lauderdale, so it seems I'm not close enough to you to come by and help.

On the yellow shrimp plants, if that's what you are offering, you can also take cuttings and root them in water. Once your friend is settled in elsewhere, she might enjoy having some starts from what she left behind. Wish I could relieve you of a sago palm...

Randy

o

• Posted by karalynn z9 FL Inverness Citr (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 7, 11 at 16:46

These just aren't plants to us. So many of them came from plant swaps we went to together or came down from tennessee near her families home or from days we spent going around to various nurseries just for fun and to see what deals we could find. She just doesn't want to see so many plants she's babied or nursed back from a half dead state die from neglect once she moves out.

At least a sampling of most of her plants will end up in either my garden or my parents garden so if she decides she wants some of the plants at her new home they will be available. The place she's moving to is a condo and while she plans on having a pot garden she won't be able to have any of the big plants she has currently.

I will be salvaging at least some of the shrimp plant as the color is different from any other I've seen before. The flowers are red with a pink edging and the plant is about 5 feet tall.

If no one is able to come and get the plants now I will be potting up as many as possible and putting them under a tree in my back yard. If nothing else I'll have plenty of plants to share at swaps next year. I've already moved a trailer full of plants that were already potted up on sunday. As well as 2 trailer loads of field stone that had been taken off the front of the house. My back is killing me today! And I still have a lot of limestone rocks to move in the next couple of weeks. It's a good thing that my house sits on a 3/4 acre lot and my parents own the empty lot behind me.

Kara

o

Wow - an amazing offer. I hope that someone is able to help you out and in return help themselves! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here