Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant ID?

Posted by RetiredFlorida 9 (floridabeachportraits@gmail.com) on
Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 7:56

Got these cuttings growing and can't for the life of me remember what they are, anybody? They're butterfly attractors I'm certain.

Darren

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant ID?

porterweed?

o

Purple Firespike, maybe.

o

• Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Inverness, Ci (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 12:07

I have a plant with orange flowers on it that has leaves that sorta look like that. Now if I could just remember what it was called.

The leaves don't look quite right for porterweed though. Porterweed leaves have slightly serrated edges.

o

Are they Penta plants?

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 18:19

Not porterweed, I think it firespike but can't be sure it is not a jacobinia.

Tom

o

I'd say pentas.

o

Could be either Firespike or orange Justicia.

o

I don't have an answer, but I would disagree with the Pentas suggestion. Looking at this and looking at my own Pentas, there is something off about the stem, especially the cut stem, that tells me it isn't Pentas. Which means it probably is Pentas just to make me look that much more like I have no clue what I'm talking about. :)

o

Yes, Firespike should be it. I know it was one of the plants offered but I don't have any in the yard to compare it to. It looks similar to those I compared on google. I know its not porterweed or penta as the stem is very thick and softwood/green. I looked at the Jacobina and I don't think that was in the garden where the cutting came from but it looks so darn close.

Its terrible I have been so generously offered so many cuttings in the past and can't remember what I was given by the time I get home!

Thanks everyone for your input.

Darren

o

i'd bet on orange justicia!

o

I'm jumping in and voting for justicia. The pictured leaves on the far right have that quilted appearance that my justicia develops. Both young and mature firespike leaves remain smooth (at least on my plant).

o

You know what? You guys/gals are amazing. I do have firespike cuttings too, yes they are smooth. It apparently is a plant I don't remember receiving but I agree that the more I look at photos of justicia I can see the leaves are very similar. I guess when it blooms I'll know for sure.

Thanks all,

Darren

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here