Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coccoloba uvifers....Germinating instructions

Posted by BronxFigs Zone-7 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 4, 11 at 8:30

Hello members......

I need some instructions on how to germinate/sow SEA GRAPE seeds that I will be receiving in about a week from now.

The plants will be grown indoors, in full sun, throughout the winter months, and then, moved outdoors for the summer months.

Should I just sow in a seed-starting mix, and keep warm, or are there special methods that must be followed?

Please advise.

Frank from Da-Bronx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coccoloba uvifers....Germinating instructions

Hi - the seeds from my trees germinate when kept moist for several weeks - it doesn't seem to matter what they're under - sand or mulch.

So I imagine simply planting them an inch or more deep in a seed-staring medium & keeping them moist & warm should do the trick.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Floridata - seagrape

o
RE: Coccoloba uvifera....Germinating instructions

Carolb w fl....

Thank-you so much for the quick response. I'll sow as you suggested in your post.

Are these fast growers? My plan is to grow a number of seedlings in the same large pot and train them into a standard patio-type tree/houseplant. I want to try to braid/twist the individual stems together into one "trunk" just like the do with Hibiscus/Benjamin Fig. My hope is that the stems will eventually fuse together.

Again, thanks.

Frank

o
RE: Coccoloba uvifera....Germinating instructions

Last November, I asked on this Forum, how to germinate seeds for the "SEA GRAPE".

I recently found a source for cleaned seeds and I ordered 500, thinking that germination failure would be very high, since all sources of information notes that these seeds are "difficult", and quickly lose viability if not sown directly after ripening.

The seed was delivered, and when I cracked open a few shells, I discovered that the seed was dry, and not fleshy. I thought that these seed kernels would look like a fresh Ginkgo seed, but instead were as dry as an ordinary Almond, and, just as crumbly. Anyway, I carefully and gently cracked away the shells on about 400 seeds, and soaked the dryish kernels in warm water overnight. The kernels swelled to twice their original size, and I then sowed them in coconut coir fiber. After 4 days, roots started growing from the tips of most of the seeds, and in a few weeks, I'll have hundreds of "Sea-Grapes" sprouting. I would bet that separating the kernels from the thin, outer shells helped get the seeds to germinate much more quickly. I hope that damping-off disease doesn't strike my crop of new treelets. The end of my "success story".

Seeds were purchased from "Banana Tree" in Easton, PA.

BronxFigs/Frank

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here