Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happy_fl_gardener

many photos of 'Gene Joyner's Unbelievable Acres'

About a dozen years ago, Gene Joyner presented to The Tropical Fruit Club, Orlando, an interesting slideshow of pictures he took creating his gardens. The pictures were so amazing that I never forgot them. We then had a group field trip that I didn't attend and always wished that I did. Well, with the recent posts about his failing health, I decided that I had better get there. So, last weekend my husband and I made the three hour trip to West Palm Beach for a tour.

We got there early so we spent time with the lady across the street who has about three dozen chickens --- all named. She was trying to get them to do some tricks for us.

When we entered Gene's property the first thing that you see is his huge sausage tree.

Then, to the right, you see a tiki hut where you register and pay the tour fee.

More sausage tree.

Gene said that he has one mile of winding pathways in his 2 1/2 acre gardens. Since the canopy was so dense most of the plants in his "rainforest" are shade loving plants.

He even made a picnic area under a large bamboo clump.

Shingle vines. They grow as flat as a pancake!

There are some fruit trees mixed in the foliage plants. This is a carambola (starfruit).

Some of the bananas included monkeyfingers.

Thousand fingers.

Praying hands.

This was an interesting palm to because I had never seen one. A triangle palm. Sure enough, the trunk is in a triangle shape.

Jackfruit tree.

Chocolate is made from the seeds of the cacao fruit. It is a very cold sensitive plant and there are very few of them in the whole state. Gene says that he has a mircoclimate that is 10-15 degrees warmer than the neighbors. He also is taking advantage of the heat produced from his house. He has a few cacao trees with some fruits nestled in the dense foliage.

He has a couple of acres at the back of the gardens where he has plants for sale. They appeared to be rooted cuttings from the gardens.

Since he has a lot more sun in this area he has some other fruiting trees. Cashew.

Mango.

This is the exiting pathway which brings us back to the sausage tree.

In front of his house, at the entrance/exit he had some passion fruit vines with some fruits.

Well, if you want to see more you may want to take a visit. He opens the gardens up to the public on the second Saturday afternoon of each month---by appointment only. 561-2421686

Hope you enjoyed the tour!

Christine

Comments (15)

• funnylady
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That was a lovely tour. Thanks for posting it.

• imagardener2
    14 years ago

thanks for taking the time to post photos. Felt like I was there. Love armchair travelling :-)

Denise

• sharbear50
    14 years ago

I used to live in West Palm Beach, but never heard of him. I need to go and visit. Thank you so much for the pictures. It probably is only about an hour drive for me. Where in West Palm is this? How much was the tour fee? I would love to go!

• cathy09
    14 years ago

Wow... now that's what I call a garden! Thanks for the pix! I had never heard of a sausage tree, so that's cool. But you had me at cacao ~grin~.

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    14 years ago

thanks for posting the pics, chris. i agree with what you told me about his place.

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sharbear, Gene's place is located on Alexander Road, not far from the turnpike.

cathy, cacao (pronounced ca-cow)is a delicious fruit with tasty white flesh surrounding all of the seeds. Too bad it is so cold sensitive.

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Hi
    Also the source for CHOCOLATE lol Don't you love the latin name ,, Theobroma "Food of the gods" Would have to agree !!! Bittersweet being the runaway best.
    Has the most fascinating history, was overlooked by Columbus ,Cortez , thought it MAY have a commercial value
    The Dutch added cane sugar from Africa. Worlds most valuable crop per ton. and yes it probably was cultivated by the Indians not for food but its hallucinagenic properties..which were greatly exagerrated lol
    Maybe??? gary

• User
    14 years ago

incredible garden. have been trying to grow my sausage tree in deland for the past nine years, but the winters are really tough on it. someday i hope to achieve a garden as cool as that. trees doing well so far....two monkey puzzles, two silk floss, a dozen ponytail palms. thanks for the pictures and tour.

• annafl
    14 years ago

Christine,

Thanks so much for posting this! I've always wanted to go but have never made it there. Now at least I have an idea of what it is like. Makes me want to go visit even more. Thank-you!

Anna

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gene Joyner has agreed to come to Orlando next year to present his slideshow again of how his gardens got started. I will announce when he will be our speaker for The Tropical Fruit Club.

Christine

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for posting this. I've been wanting to go visit for years but I work weekends, so it's great to get a look at it.

• katkin_gw
    14 years ago

Yes, thanks a bunch, I really enjoyed it too. I'll put it on my list of things to do! :o)

• Randy Ritchie
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for the wonderful photos! I want to go now. LOL. Anybody from the Fort Lauderdale area game?

girlsaylor

• klw1_mail_com
    12 years ago

i went today its amazing!!!! you really have to see for yourself how amazzing it is!!!

• rms1333_bellsouth_net
    12 years ago

IS THERE ANY SECRET TO GROWING SUGAR APPLES FROM SEEDS I CAN'T GET THEM TO SPROUT