Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zone 9 Tropical over wintering questions

Posted by akaj9 9 Central Florida (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 1, 11 at 9:11

Every year I give into summer temptations for tropicals, we get a bad freeze and I loose most everything .... I have just started containers, instead of putting everything in the ground, and was wondering...I have an open barn 30x30, if I move them into the barn during the winter will they survive 32 or lower weather? They wont get frost because they are covered, but what about temps alone, even if protected? I really want to try some tropicals again.....:(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zone 9 Tropical over wintering questions

It all depends on the types of tropicals. If your barn is open, it will probably be the same temp as outside, just no frost. You could throw frost blankets over them in the barn. That might be enough but still a gamble. I had frost blankets on my peppers and papaya but lost them anyway. My lime had christmas light under the blanket and made it. I think one cold night at a time isn't too bad, but when you have repeated nights of freezing like the last few years, they just can't make it. I've lived in my house 15 years and the last couple years have finished off most of my hibiscus's.

o
RE: Zone 9 Tropical over wintering questions

• Posted by akaj9 9 Central Florida (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 2, 11 at 10:53

Thats what I was afraid of....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here