Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Second Generation Bromeliad Tree

Posted by chellamaral 9b/10 Fort Pierce FL (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 9:45

Here it is, one year later. The large broms are now connected to driftwood via roots and have set pups. The neo broms flowered and also set pups, and I have removed the mamas. The pups on the neos have not begun to color up yet. The large tilandsias have flowered twice and starting to fail, but I see one is spouting a pup. I also added 2 cattleya cuttings one one has started to root.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Second Generation Bromeliad Tree

full view

o
First Generation Bromeliad Tree Dec 2011

One year ago

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 10:22

Looks beautiful! Good job!

Silvia

o

I love it!!

o

• Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Inverness, Ci (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 11:34

Very nice!

o

Your first post was one of my favorites ever, so it is so much fun to see the follow-up! The brom tree looks great! After your first post, I had to go get some neos for myself but mine have never looked quite as bright as yours. I still love them. :)

Carol in Jax

o

Hi
Are you using a real tree limb?? I always had trouble with rot always as they started to look their best naturally. Going to try again but using a PVC pipe covered with cork slab. Going to use mostly orchids and carniverous plants as that is what I have but they're in pots . Looks fantastic !!! gary

o

hd use to sell them, i thnk they used drift wood. yours is really nice!!! lime colored devil's backbone is bright! i think a project is in my future for one of those! thanks......

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 16, 12 at 6:55

It really looks good. It filled in nicely since last year. :o)

o

We were lucky to find a large piece of driftwood that was petrified. I had to remove an orchid that didn't make it and have done 3-4 clean outs since installation. The neos will loose their color if they don't get enough light. That landscape bed is under water during a very hard rain, so the brom tree works well there, and the ground plants are able to somehow hang in there!

o

Lucky indeed to find a petrified driftwood. I have been tempted to purchase a piece of cypress from one of the 'driftwood' stores nearby to do something like this. But much like 'liberating poor animals from a pet store', I see this as just perpetuating the practice of harvesting cypress from the Glades. Your pictures have me wanting to go get one anyways. But, looking at them and how little of the log itself we can see now that it is flushed, I might be able to get away with using a fence post or something. Thanks for sharing and the inspiration.

o

We were driving along a1a and saw a lot they were clearing with a big jumble of logs. In spite of the "NO Tresspassing" sign, we liberated this log before it was put into the dumpster. I can't tell you how long it took us the saw through. LOL. Wish we had gone back for more!

o

big piece of driftwood we bought was equal to a house payment! lots of begging, crying(i'm a 90's man), she let me buy it......:) ten or so years now, still perfect! good buy!..........m

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here