Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nfmgirl

Grapes in South Florida

nfmgirl
15 years ago

I am thinking that I would really like to grow some grapes, both for myself and for the birds. So when is the best time to plant grapes? I assume that they should be planted in full sun?

I currently have trellises covered in jasmine on the north and south sides of my lanai. I was considering getting rid of one of these vines and replacing it with grapes. The jasmine seems to be doing pretty well on the north side, but not as well as the jasmine on the south side. I haven't lived here long enough to see the jasmine in bloom yet, so I don't know for sure whether the jasmine on the north side blooms. I'd hate to get rid of the jasmine on the south side to then discover that the jasmine on the north side is stunted and doesn't bloom.

So, when should grapevines be planted, and should they presumably be planted on the south side of the lanai? Thanks for any info!

Heather

Comments (11)

• junkyardgirl
    15 years ago

Bunch grapes do not do well here. Muscadines and Scuppernongs are about all you can grow, but they grow like weeds. You can usually find them in most local nurseries. This time of year, usually the grocery stores sell them as well, so if you find some, just buy them and plant the seeds.

• corrie22
    15 years ago

Heather, there are a lot of varieties of grapes that do great here. You have to pick them for disease resistance, just like tomatoes and some on what variety they are grafted to.
    We even have a lot of people growing grapes here in the Keys.

Here's a link to UofF Extension Service on grapes and the varieties they recommend:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MG105

and a link to the FGGA - Florida Grape Growers Association,
    You might contact some of them and see what they recommend:
    http://www.fgga.org/wineriesdirectory.html

I grow Conquistador which is a old timey bunch grape here in the Keys.

• palmcityfl
    15 years ago

There is a misconception that bunch grapes do not grow in Florida, but there are varieties that do well here.. Visit Eden Winery in Alva, just west of Fort Myers or Henscratch Vineyards in Lake Placid. Eden has varieties developed by the Univ of Fla, I bought some vines ten years ago and they are thriving. I suggest that you grow only those varieties that are proven for your area.

• nfmgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for your input. I'll do a little more research and not rush it. Thanks again!

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    15 years ago

Heather---It is best to buy your grapes already rooted in pots. They are cuttings from named varieties. The muscadines come in 2 types: bronze and black. An important consideration besides growing a variety for your area, is to find out if it is a variety that is self pollenating or that it needs a pollenator. If the plants are in pots, they can be planted at anytime.

I have a friend in Orlando area that has been growing the bunch type 'Conquistador' grape for years now and it has been a good one.

Christine

• Halfway There
    6 years ago

flvr, Reisling??? My favorite wine!! I live near you and I did not know Reisling would grow here. I googled it but it says it grows in colder climates. I tasted store bought muscadine grapes and they were pretty terrible so I gave up on growing grapes. Do you know of any local nurseries that carry Reisling vines? If not, would you consider sharing a few cuttings? I've got lots to share including bromeliad, desert roses, plumeria, queen's wreath vine, banana and more. I'll even bring some mangos when they ripen.

• flvr
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Riesling is my favorite as well. I bought mine at the Walmart at Oakland and 441 but I would be happy to share. I don't really need much more in my yard but I have some cool things to share. I have Michelia Champaca (Joy Perfume Tree) seeds. I love mangos....Mango margaritas, yum :-)

• Halfway There
    6 years ago

So I hit 2 walmarts and no Reisling. I'd love to get some cutting if that's OK. I couldn't message you because you don't have messaging activated. If you want to turn it on it's under...... Your Houzz, Edit Profile, Advanced Settings, Who Can Message Me. Would you like some frozen mangoes from last years harvest? My tree produces about 500 mangoes per season so I peel and freeze a lot and use them for smoothies throughout the year. I just made some banana, pineapple, mango smoothies and it was delicious. Otherwise it will be another month before mine ripen. I'll definitely bring you boxes of them when I harvest. I'd love some Champaca seeds! I have the Michelia Alba and it smells heavenly but it's near the front of the house and I only have a faint scent in the yard. It also doesn't seed ever! It's the toughest plant to propagate. If you want to give it a try I can bring some cuttings. I have a perfect spot for the champaca in the back.

• flvr
    6 years ago
    Hello there,
    I don't know how to turn the messaging on. Email me at:
    Flvr@bellsouth.net. Subject: grapes
  • ukrishna100
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hi Halfwaythere1 , Flvr - I live in weston and would some michellia champac & alba cuttings. And also any variety of grapes. I am assuming they will do better than store bought - as they have acclimatized. To trade - I have a starfruit plant doing very well, neem & jackfruit seedlings - which tend to grow very well from seed. Also lots of loquat seedlings.