Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hester_2009

fall garden

hester_2009
10 years ago

Hi all,
I've been lurking and happy to see everyone's progress in various gardens. Thought I'd post a few of mine, as all the summer rains have made things lush (and very overgrown).
Hope you enjoy.

The first is dombeya - blooms only once a year for me and I've let them get way too big - the bees love them.

This is looking out from the deck - really just wanted to show my new, very high fence - quite a sight when it first went up - and I used up all my plant budget for the year!

Front walk

Chinese hat

and last, why it makes it difficult to grill

Hester

Comments (19)

• morningloree
    10 years ago

I have one of those unique grill loungers as well. His name is Itty Bitty. Your yard is so colorful and lush... gorgeous. November can be a beautiful month here in
    Florida, we don't have the changing leaf colors, but still some fantastic blooms. My Dombeya is getting ready to bloom for the first time. It also is a bit overgrown.

• amberroses
    10 years ago

Beautiful

• marcia_m
    10 years ago

Your garden looks great, Hester, and I love the new fence. I love the variegated plant--is it a hibiscus? Not that I have room for any more plants!
    Marcia

• hester_2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Marcia,
    Thanks for the compliment - the fence was a huge deal to put in as it runs 250 feet. But it gives me the privacy I wanted.
    That big tree is a varigated mahoe (hibiscus tiliaceus). I just love it. I planted it last year and it has really gotten huge. Quite a few GW's have it - you do need room!
    Hester

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Beautiful! I'm so jealous of your dombeya--they're supposed to do well around here, but I've never seen any that don't look ratty, so I'm afraid to try one.

• L_in_FL
    10 years ago

You have a lovely garden, Hester!

It's always a treat to see a lush landscape at this time of year. :-) Up here in the northern part of the state the grass is browning and the trees are losing their leaves.

• shuffles_gw
    10 years ago

Hester, I love the paths.

• hester_2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all,
    Writer'sblock - try the dombeya..they are worth it. Yes, they look sad most of the summer, but I cut them way down (forgot this year) and I have powderpuffs in front of them so you don't notice the bare stems so much. And some people confuse the shrub with dombeya wallichi - this is d seminole.

Shuffles
    You may have missed my previous posts where I mentioned that the paths are what is left of a huge circular drive in the front of my house. I spent a whole summer shoveling the gravel to make paths and then plant - now one would never know there was a drive here!

L in Fl
    that's why I moved here so long ago from Mass. To escape brown and bare trees! Still, I hate it when it gets below 70 and I love the summers. Glad you like my gardens.

Hester

• KaraLynn
    10 years ago

Such a wondurfully lush and inviting garden! Love the cat.

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    10 years ago

Extremely inviting. Great job! Is there any sod? Do you grow edibles?

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

Hester, your garden is lovely as always. You can see how hard you work to keep it lovely.

I have the dombeya W. made into a tree for many years now. It's trunk is the size of my thigh and at least 15 tall. I just started the Seminole to be a tree, which should be much smaller in height. I also have the white one in tree form. It takes a lot of pruning to keep them trees. But I love that I can under plant them.

I love the yellow hat. I lost mine, it was too small when we had the two cold winters in a row.

• bradisha
    10 years ago

Lovely garden pictures Hester, my Dombeya is also blooming now.

• hester_2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again, all.

Shaved monkey - no grass at all and I couldn't be happier - while the gardens are wild looking, it's what I prefer rather than manicured lawns and beds. The birds and butterflies prefer it too.
    I don't grow edibles for many reasons - I live very close to an organic farm being the primary one! I do always have tomatoes in containers, however.

Katkin - I would love to see pics of your dombeyas - I going to try pruning the large ones I have to be more treelike. And if I ever see a white one, it's coming home with me!
    The chinese hat in this photo is in a large pot right outside the garage for when it gets cold. The other two I have in the ground will hopefully survive what looks like will be a cold winter. ( I hate to think about that - covering everything is a major project)

Hester

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

I love the wild look too. The birds and butterflies love it.
    Nice job on your place!!

• Jeanome
    10 years ago

That's a great looking garden!

• annafl
    10 years ago

Hester, I'm so glad I stopped by today! Your garden looks lovely as always. I think your tall fence is a nice addition. I know you'll have it hidden with vines by next spring. Your Dombeya is lovely, and the kitty is handsome. Please show us more. I'd love an excuse to come back again.

Anna

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

Hester, I am sorry I didn't get back to you, but we had a death in the family and then the holidays took over.
    If you want I'll try to root the white dombeya for you, if you root the yellow Chinese hat for me, then we can exchange them by mail. Some day I would love to see your garden in person and you are welcome to see mine. :o)

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

Bump this back up. :o)

• hester_2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Katkin
    I just took cuttings of the chinese hat plant for you..however, the better time to do it is spring or summer, so I may have to try again later. I'll let you know how it works.
    Ana,
    Good to see your post....of course you can come by anytime.Things are looking a little browned up now because of the cold wind (and I expect this week too will take a toll).
    I'm enjoying the huge cardinals guard you gave me - full of big blooms! Hope you are well,
    Hester

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm