Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you grow Carnations in Central Florida?

Posted by jwahlton 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 9, 09 at 10:07

Carnations are my favorite flower and I would LOVE to be able to grow those. Do they grow in Central Florida? What time of year do you plant? Where do you get the seeds?

TIA

Julia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you grow Carnations in Central Florida?

yes; plant them now; they're called pinks or dianthus--rarely labeled carnations. the smaller-flowered varietals are easiest, but i've grown the full-sized ones, too. some of them are perennial, but they look like crap in the summer so i don't bother.

you can get them at big box stores, or check out swallowtail seeds (google it!)--i like their seed selection a lot and their prices are pretty reasonable...

o

Stuart used to be a big commercial carnation growing area, so you should be fine.

I have a related question. Last season I bought a small pot of something labeled as Mexican Strawberry dianthus, but I don't think it was. It was a small pink single dianthus with white markings, and it was very highly scented--most unusual for any plant from HD. Any guesses as to what it really might have been? With deadheading it bloomed like crazy all winter and probably would have summered over but I finally let it go. I'd love to find another.

o

Thanks. So tfhese can be grown well from seeds or should I look for the plants? I want lots of colorful great smelling carnations! And should they be in pots or in the ground? Full sun, etc?

o

If you have particular requirements you're probably better off with seeds. The big box stores mostly have lots of small single flowered dianthus, usually scentless, but that's a fast way to start if you're in a hurry.

o

I didn't know we could grow carnations here. Cool.

o

We planted seeds from Ferry Morse, bought at Lowes for about a dollar last year, carnation mixed colors. We didn't get a lot germiante but the ones that did were nice, clove like scent small, single layered carnation flowers on stems about a foot high!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here