Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My new favorite plant

Posted by crueltyfre Tampa 9a heat 10 s (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 30, 11 at 10:52

Maple sugar hibiscus, Hibiscus acetosella...dark, dark, burgundy leaves, red flowers in abundance, hardy and evergreen and attracts wildlife! Roots quickly and easily from cuttings (I've started a bunch for the spring swap).
And that's a bit of the pool that might soon be a pond below it, lol. And Squeek.
Lori
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My new favorite plant

Gorgeous. Sadly the wildlife hibiscus attract here are deer which munch them to the ground.

o

I like that one. I have the cranberry hibiscus and the flowers blend in with the foliage.

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSLFl (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 2, 11 at 6:50

I love that plant too and it reseeds well for me. I also have it with green leaves and an other red leafed one with dark pink flowers.

o

I can see why that would become your favorite. It is really striking with its burgundy leaves contrasting with the red in the flowers. Great colors.

o

Squeak is cute!

o

Yours is hardy? To how cold? I have one I planted in spring and love it and was wondering how much protection it will need in winter?

o

I've never seen that variety with the red flowers. Mine had pink. That's beautiful!

o

What wildlife does it attract? Looks like hummingbirds might like it.

And I also would like to know how hardy it is.

It is very pretty.

o

We haven't had winter freeze since getting this, but the tag said hardy to the high 20's. I've started a bunch for the spring swap if anyone's interested. They root very fast.
Lori

Here is a link that might be useful: tag info

o

oh, tag says it attracts birds and hummingbirds and resists deer. I know various types of bees love the flowers, that's all I've seen so far.
Lori

Here is a link that might be useful: plant tag info

o

I have one that looks like the picture, but I think it comes with pink flowers too. These are also called false roselle. The true roselle, hibbiscus sabdariffa, looks very similar, but has more green leaves. True roselle is used to make a tasty tea and I think the false roselle can also be used. Please research that and don't poison yourself based on what I say because I'm not 100% sure and I haven't tried it myself yet.

Mine tolerates a lot of cold, but only seems to last a couple of years before dying. They will self seed and make new plants easily though so I'm never without them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here