Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joeblfsk

Holy Mackerel dere...

Just met a new pal who is a snowbird hereabouts, and isn't crazy about lemons of any kind. However he'll never cut down his huge bush thats loaded with Sambo Lemons ! He gave me carte' blanche access to them, - the photo shows the first, for now, one that I picked. That's a Key Lime on the left, then a Meyer Lemon, then the Sambo next to the can.
They just don't grow or sell lemons like this in Manhattan. So was wondering if anyone out there was familiar and how they use these humongous citrus fruits.
Just a transplanted New Yorker still discovering the marvels of the south. ( smile )

Comments (10)

• echobelly
    10 years ago

Wow, that's quite a lemon! I've got a meyer lemon tree, and after I pick all the lemons I squeeze them and freeze the juice in ice cube trays to enjoy well into the summer. Last year I ended up with three big bags of lemon cubes in the freezer. One cube is a great addition to a gin and tonic!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    10 years ago

Sure would take a lot fewer lemons to make a gallon of lemonadeâ¦.

• morningloree
    10 years ago

Looks like a Ponderosa lemon. I had someone just give me one right off the tree. A lemon on steroids for sure!

• stuartwanda
    10 years ago

Yeah, the Ponderosa Lemons are as big as grapefruit! This park I'm in started in the early 70's so the tree is no longer with me, to bad, they were good. Enjoy your great find!

• jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
    Original Author
    10 years ago

echobelly : You are a genius, why didn't I think of that ?
    Think I'll buy 4 more ice cube trays today, have the room. Hmmm, may pick up 6 trays as I am on the verge of buying a new, larger fridge with a pull out freezer at the bottom.
    I planted my own key lime tree here 5 yrs ago, and also have access to a group of healthy Meyer lemon shrubs nearby besides the aforementioned Sambo. Hmmm, may have to buy 8 new trays.
    Wait,..I also like Egg Nogs, Sea Breezes, Pina Coladas, Margaritas,..hmmm,...may have to buy 10 new trays. lol

carol ; Have to agree, can't wait to slice this one open and sample it's juice.

morningloree/stuart : Will have to google the Ponderosa and see if they're related or maybe the same lemon.

From Google :
    Actually Englewood is lemon central in this state. Situated on Cape Haze along Florida's Gulf Coast, south of Sarasota and west of Port Charlotte, easygoing Englewood (population 15,000) got its start in the late-1800s when two brothers from Illinois came looking for land to grow lemons. Lemon Bay and LB high School remain as reminders as all the commercial lemon groves died in a devastating early 20th century cold snap.

And may I add ?.......there are still a bajillion private lemon trees of all kinds still thriving hereabouts.

This post was edited by jofus on Mon, Dec 2, 13 at 8:27

• coffeemom
    10 years ago

If they are truly Sambo sweet lemons, you can make lemonade just by squeezing the lemons: no need to add water or sugar.

• echobelly
    10 years ago

@jofus: No need to buy a ton of trays, I just used a couple and would squeeze, freeze, put the frozen cubes in bags, and squeeze and freeze again. I didn't have any problem with the cubes sticking together in the bag. I used an electric orange juicer, which made the squeezing go really quickly, those lemons may be too big though.

Original Author
    10 years ago

coffeemom/echobelly : Thanks for the interesting info. All I have right now is a fairly large garlic crusher to squeeze the lemons,..works fine with key limes, but may need something else if I wind up squeezing lots of these giants.
    Oh well, will see how it goes, may only do a few at a time,..even at that, should be enough to keep me busy. lol

This post was edited by jofus on Mon, Dec 2, 13 at 11:08

• rene09
    10 years ago

Citrus juicers are very inexpensive & a good investment if you intend to do much juicing. they get all the juice out.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Good idea rene ! I manually squeezed a lot of lemons & limes yesterday, - like the idea of having a ready supply of those ice cubes for my future cocktails, so will shop online tomorrow for a citrus juicer. Thanks for the tip.