Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth7happy

Christmas cactus with the wilts.

beth7happy
10 years ago

The Christmas cactus lives on my patio year round (Brevard County) and has been pretty perky until a few weeks ago. Not sure if the heat got it...it doesn't get much direct sun at all..maybe an hour in the very early morning. It looked woolselie and wilty...I watered it, but no avail. Poor thing. Any suggestions for a possible rescue?? Maybe a new, slightly bigger pot?? New soil? It's not a very big plant.

Comments (18)

• ladywingr
    10 years ago

Water can be evil for the Christmas cactus, especially in cooler weather. Make sure it dries out enough between watering. Mine also seen to prefer smaller than larger pots because of the wet issue.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

That sounds like root rot, not perking up after being watered. Can you add a pic?

• beth7happy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's pitiful...just pitiful. Took it out of the pot and it REALLY looks sad! 100% rootbound, and yes...the roots looked like brown threads. There is probably no reviving it, but, none-the-less, I put it into a larger pot with new soil.
    Thanks for your input.

• beth7happy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another sad view

10 years ago

That's a Thanksgiving cactus, BTW, Schlumbergera truncata.

Awww, that does look sad, so sorry. If there is root/stem rot, replanting it is extremely unlikely to revive it. I'd remove the firmest, most promising foliage and put those in a pot to increase your chances.

Knowing why it originally rotted so that doesn't happen again would help. Does the pot have a drain hole?

If you put this pic on the cacti/succulent forum, you'll get advice from folks with much more experience than me.

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 14:07

• beth7happy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another sad view

{{!gwi}}

• beth7happy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, it did have a drain hole. :( Probably underwatered while we were away and then over watered once we got home and it was droopy. and was really tooooo pot-bound! Ah well. Seems that I do really well at killing succulents!! *smile*

10 years ago

Hmm, it looks better in the 2nd pic than the 1st. TC isn't the typical succulent. Being a tropical jungle epiphyte, they would really prefer to never dry completely like many other plants called 'cactus.' It may have just gotten so dry that it's taking a long time to rehydrate, or even so dry that the roots were killed by dessication. How long has it been since you discovered the dry plant and gave it a drink?

In nature, it would be lodged in the crook of a tree trunk in a tropical rain forest, being rained on often during the warm season, with some roots in the air. Similar to Orchids.

• beth7happy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It may well have been left dry too long, then. I gave it a drink a few days ago and there was zero change. When I pulled it from the pot, it was like concrete in there...possibly 'slightly' damp, but certainly not even close to wet. My last-ditch effort is the new pot with an added inch around all the edges....(yes, new pot also has a drainhole)...and watered. It's on the patio and I'll try to not even look at it for a few days.

10 years ago

It sounds like it's gotten hydrophobic, and is having trouble getting wet inside the root ball. I'd give it more water if it's still dry in the middle.

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    10 years ago

I would place this plant, pot and all, in a closed bottom container and let it soak in water up to just below the top of its soil. Leave it there for awhile to be sure the concrete-like soil ball it's growing in is thoroughly soaked. Even though you repotted with additional soil, It sounds like it's still in its "concrete" core.

After a thorough soaking, allow it to also thoroughly drain.

I've found that when plants become really dry in their pots, it's frequently hard to get their rootball rehydrated. The water you pour in the pot just drains down the sides. They need to be soaked.

• beth7happy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That seems like a good idea, june! just looked at it this morning; the pot is wet - to the outside. and sticking my finger into the 'concrete' area, it seems to be wet, too. Would you still go ahead with the therapy of immersion?? and, if so...how long for immersion? an hour? 20 minutes? a day? BTW, I'm really glad to know the real name of this plant, too! thanks!

10 years ago

"I've found that when plants become really dry in their pots, it's frequently hard to get their rootball rehydrated." That's what hydrophobic means.

Beth, if it's wet in the middle by now, I wouldn't add more water. Is it perking up any more?

• beth7happy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If my eyes do not deceive me, it might be ever-so-slightly perkier this morning!! Here's hoping!!!!

10 years ago

Absolutely! Sending good vibes! You probably already know, but 'tis the season for stores to have them - because 'tis the season for them to bloom. As far south as you are, might not work that way. But, the point is, if/when they have them, it's likely to be a one-time shot until next year at the same time. Not a plant one can usually find 'out of season.' If you think you *need* a possible replacement, I'd start looking in stores at this time. (Not at all saying I think your plant won't make it, I really don't know. Just saying so you'll know you can't wait until like January to pronounce it dead, if it's going to die, and easily find another.) They're easy and common to trade through mail as well, so that's an out of season option if you enjoy that kind of thing.

And yours may be able to bloom yet, if enough of the roots were/are still alive but just very thirsty. The ones on my front porch just started showing miniscule buds a little over a week ago. Once I see what color they all are, I *need* to seek the others.

• beth7happy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

update: it 'seems' like it's perking up just a wee bit. not holding my breath, but it does look some better! might have to go buy a new, flowering one to be a good buddy for it, tho. plants need friends, right??

10 years ago

Absolutely! I already have several & got 2 more yesterday. At $3 each, they were worth the 'wow now' factor to me. Buds on mine are still small.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

I found a very pretty Orange one at our WM...6" pot for $6.88

Good luck with yours, but you might as well get a buddy for it...plus its nice to have a back-up especially for that price :o)