Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Caterpillars on Tomato plants

puglvr1
10 years ago

I noticed this morning that leaves and several unripe small tomatoes have been chewed up, I couldn't figure out what was eating/chewing it up until I put my glasses on I noticed there are small green caterpillars(same exact) color as the tomato plants ...it was very difficult to see. I removed all that I could find about 20-25 of them. Are there any organic treatment I can put on the plants, spray or apply to the soil to kill eggs and the caterpillars?

Thanks for any help and advise...

Comments (10)

• castorp
    10 years ago

You can use Bt spray, which I think is regarded as organic, but in my experience the best way is just to trim or pinch off the chewed leaves, which are usually the ones with the worms on them, and dispose of them.

Bill

• whgille
    10 years ago

Hi Nancy

Bill gave you the right advise for using BT or taking the leaves out. Or if you have it can also use Spinosad. I only spray when I see a problem and I have to admit but this season have not use anything, the result was that I also found some chewed up tomatoes just like you did. The problem was that my tomatoes were so thick with foliage that when I saw something it was too late. I had to cut a lot of the foliage so I can see the tomatoes and any caterpillars that may be hiding under the thick foliage, there was also a lot of wind in my area and that caused a lot of the branches bended. With all of that taken care of, I am having a great tomato season.

Here are some pictures of my tomatoes and all the trim that I had to do.

Silvia

• castorp
    10 years ago

Your tomatoes are looking great, as usual, Silvia. You're always ahead of me, too. Mine took forever to set fruit, which are still totally green. . .

I'll have to try your tip of thinning out the foliage. Mine are really thick too. I can't see what's going on in there.

Bill

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Bill and Silvia for your advise and help...I think I will just try and check them every day or two and remove the leaves and caterpillars as I see them...Yuck I really HATE them too,lol...

Silvia your tomatoes are looking great!! I have a picked a few of my Juliette tomatoes already, the size reminds me of a miniature Roma...which I happen to really like. Its my first time growing Juliette and very happy with them.

Thanks again...

• whgille
    10 years ago

Thank you Bill, this season is different than any other I think, very warm and little rain and I probably found one of the best and productive tomatoes and I got it free in an order from Tatiana's, after I start using in recipes I will find out the final test.
    I try to plant the large variety of tomatoes first because they take the longest to ripen and have been using them already for a while. I have an abundance of winter radishes this season, have to get creative,lol.

Thank you Nancy, you are growing the tomatoes for a war! lol. I grew Juliet in Arizona, they were the only ones growing without the shade cloth and their thick skins prevented them from bursting in the sun and here probably from the rains. They make good dried tomatoes.

Silvia

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a few Juliet I picked the last few days...I'm really glad I planted this variety. This is also the first year I planted my tomato plants early, I've never had ripe tomatoes the first week of November.

• jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
    10 years ago

Hi Pug ! Your story reminded me of my first encounter with those green caterpillars, just had to add a blurb.
    Previous to moving to this area of SW Florida, I automatically grew tomatoes every year for many years and never had any out-of-the ordinary problems.
    Then 3 years ago, after moving a half dozen healthy, still green, 4 ft tall beefsteaks onto my lanai to reduce the onslaught from enemies in the backyard, like you, I saw something move in one plant. Upon looking closer I was shocked, .. in a 4 inch long trench he had already eaten through, there was a fat 2 1/2 inch long green caterpillar with his head going up and down, chomping away.
    That was it for me, had just reached my tolerance level. Buy my tomatoes at Walmart now. ( smile )

This post was edited by jofus on Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 9:16

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol...Jofus! Funny story :o)

I HATE those gross caterpillars too, I do what Silvia and Bill recommended and snipped the leaf/branch that has them so I don't have to touch them...at first I was too grossed out to even do that but then I though "no way you're going to win" this war, I'm not letting those guys win. I love fresh home grown tomatoes too much lol...

If I have to I will buy BT as long as its organic I'm okay using it...

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    10 years ago

I just started spraying BT (thuracide). It seem to be working. I decided to spray the new flush every day. My first attempt with BT.
    My tomatoes are showing their first flowers. But I'm in zone 10b. Nothing set yet. Tonight will be in low 60's for the first time.

• whgille
    10 years ago

Nancy, nice looking tomatoes! enjoy your harvest!

Shavedmonkey, few years back I used BT on my tomatoes, only spray early morning or after dark, to be effective it has to hit all the places where the bugs might be hiding. Later I switched to Spinosad and that I only spray when needed. I have not used anything this season, the eyes are the best weapons against bugs! as I see them, I get rid of them.:)
    I do like BT as a dust to put on my winter squash crop so they don't get any worms or eggs, it works for me and according to the experts is organic.
    Hope that you get a very successful tomato harvest!

Silvia