Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellowing winter squash...

Posted by MrsLemon none (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 24, 11 at 12:27

I'm new here but I wanted to ask a question. I just started my first garden this fall and its very small. I used all organic seeds and sprouted them all myself. Dug into the ground and mixed in organic soil, cow manure, and peat moss as well as some organic fertilizer. I have peas, sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, broccoli, and I planted some winter squash. The squash was doing wonderfully until a week and a half ago. It started getting yellow. I checked for the worm (stem borer?) and couldnt find anything. I also broke off a leaf to see if it might be bacterial and it didnt seem to be. But its getting worse daily. Is there anything I can do? How do I know if its bacterial, and if it is then is there anything I can do or do I need to do a raised bed next year? It does seem to be affecting the Snow Peas next to the squash a little bit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellowing winter squash...

It's hard to tell without knowing where you live. We've had frost already here in North Florida. Too late for winter squash up here. Seems too early for English peas anywhere. I don't put mine in until January. Too late for sweet potatoes here too. I don't know about much farther south. You should go to your local ag. center and get a vegetable gardening guide or look online for one from the Univ. of Fl. Take a leaf to the ag. center and they can tell you what's wrong or post a picture on here for someone to I.D.

o
RE: Yellowing winter squash...

Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the back of the seed packets when I bought them and they all said "September through something" so I thought they would be okay. We havent had any sort of frost here. I am in zone 9 about 30 minutes from the coast. I will try to post a picture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here