Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clover Cover Crop / Clover Lawn

Posted by jason83 Zone 8b/9a (North Fl (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 12:49

I'm attempting to establish a stand of Crimson Clover. Apparently the autumn (around now) is the best time to plant it here in Northeast Florida, but it's not looking like we'll be getting much rainfall for a while...in fact, we didn't have much at all this entire year. I attribute that (along with our barren sandy soil) as the reasons why I couldn't get the White Dutch clover to grow. From my research, it looks like Crimson Clover can handle the sandy soil pretty good.

I haven't given up on the idea yet, and of course I'm hopeful, but do you think it's okay to go ahead and drop the seeds down? Could the lack of production/sprouting be because I'm simply broadcasting the seed? Or should I be using a drill and planting it into the soil to a certain depth? Is it not getting enough water?

Since I'm trying to get the Crimson Clover to cover a large area (about an acre), irrigation will be difficult, but not impossible, I guess... Can anyone share their experience or offer some pointers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clover Cover Crop / Clover Lawn

I have a patch of white clover in my yard that I planted about 25 years ago. The soil is sandy. I don't remember the details of the planting, but I do remember that I broadcast the seeds by hand and lightly raked them in with a leaf rake. This clover is very well established and is the dominant plant in an area of about 300 SF.

o

• Posted by jason83 Zone 8b/9a (North Fl (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 18:50

Hi Shuffles! Great to hear that someone in FL has been successful with the white clover! I've not been so lucky with it, but certainly won't be giving up. I find it far superior to grass, don't you?

o

jason, yes I really like the clover. I forgot to mention that when I planted the clover, I used the back of a leaf rake to cover the seed. Next time it blooms, I plan to post a photo here.

o

Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 15:28

You wouldn't happen to know what kind of white clover, would you? Dutch White, Ladino type, etc? Look forward to seeing the photo :)

o

jason,

I am pretty sure it is the Ladino type. The bloom photo won't be for months.

o

Sun, Nov 11, 12 at 13:39

I wonder if that's why I'm having trouble...I was going for the shorter varieties like white dutch, new zealand, etc. I suppose if Ladino works for you it should work for me...sounds like you've got the same soil.

Thank you again Shuffles! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here