Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19717094

Bouganvilleas

User
10 years ago

Can anyone tell me how to make my bouganvilleas thrive? I have several around my home in SW Florida. Most are not very large and in pots. I have seen videos on youtube that advise water and fertilizer and also full sun for at least 8 hours. However, this seems too simplistic. I appreciate any advice. My bouganvilleas are not really flowering.

Comments (10)

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    10 years ago

Overwatering will give you leaves and no flowers.
    Shade will give you big leaves and no flowers.
    Bougainvillea needs full sun and fast draining soil for the best results.

• linda_leaf _z10a_southwest_fl
    10 years ago

Gator99,
    Can you plant the bougainvilleas in the ground? Once they are established, they don't need much care at all.
    Linda Leaf

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I appreciate the input. I have some outside in the ground. One in particular is thriving. The potted ones are having mixed result, ranging from almost no leaves to almost all flowers. I believe that some of the potted ones need to be repotted. Can you please recommend a method of doing so as I have seen numerous alternatives online.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One of the plants is down to sticks and no flowers or leaves. Can I rescue it?

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

I would just put them in the ground. I am in zone 9a now and I put mine (13 different varieties) in the ground during the spring, fall and summer and then cut them way back, pot up, and put them into the greenhouse for the winter.
    I have found that they really aren't as picky as some think they are about being moved. They will grow 20 ft high or more during the year before I cut them back.

I would probably put them in the ground in an area of full sun exposure and water them good once, then water again once per week until established. Let them dry out slightly before re watering. If you happen to get any frosty nights then cover them since they won't have a strong root system yet.
    It kinda seems like they are getting either over watered or not enough sun in the pots. If you are going to keep them in pots make sure there are good sized holes for drainage and you have some perlite and maybe a little sand mixed into your potting soil. They can be over watered just from not having a 'loose' enough soil mix. You could add a little bark like in a orchid mix to the mix as well. For potting soil I really like the jungle growth brand from Lowes because it has bigger chunks of bark in it and it doesn't seem to compact as much as some of the others. I sometimes will just mix MG potting soil and the jungle growth then add perlite to it and whatever else I feel like lol. You can also add a little osmocote or there is a specific bougainvillea time release fertilizer on the market as well.

I used to grow bougies in a desert zone 10a and also in a 9b they can really take brutal sun and lots of drought once they are established. They hate cold but can take some light frosts once established. They really really hate constantly wet feet especially during cold weather.

This post was edited by sultry_jasmine_night on Thu, Dec 12, 13 at 11:05

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I appreciate the input and I am impressed with your knowledge :-) I don't have any yard space really to plant the bougainvilleas, unfortunately. I am wondering if re-potting is the best route. I would like to add that these very plants looked really good a couple months ago (we bought our house then, and the plants came with it).

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I pruned all of my Bogies a few days ago and I already notice a difference. The one that was down to almost bare sticks is putting out small, green growth, as are the ones that were doing OK. I noticed that the strongest one is on the side of the house that receives the most sunlight (not surprising).

• edenh
    10 years ago

I am so glad to have found a post on bougie. I have planted several of them around the perimeter of my yard but only one is blooming, the rest are just sitting there, not really growing and looking really ratty. So I dig up 3 of them because they are almost dead and potted them up. I gave plenty of water and now they are blooming while the ones in the ground are still puny.The ones in the ground are getting enough water and I fertilize them once a month. I am not sure why the ones in the pots are blooming, but I think it is because of the rootbound and water, because they have nice, big leaves and the rootball is quite dense at the bottom of the pot. As for the only in-ground yellow bougie that bloom, I transplanted it from my old house with barely any root at all and I chopped all the branches and left only 12 in of the main stem. I wish I know the secret to growing them and getting them to bloom!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Are you pruning the poor looking ones? I had one (in a pot) that was down to sticks. I went through and did some pruning of even the raw stems and leaves came back. I also put bouganvillea fertilizer in the pot. I have been watering mine sparingly.

• edenh
    10 years ago

I trimmed the ones in the ground lightly. If they dont show any improvement, I will give them really good haircut by new year's day. I dug one that was eaten by a lawnmower and potted it up. I watered it regularly and now it is leafing out nicely, about 6 " tall. Havent seen any bracts yet. The three potted previously are flowering repeatedly and gloriously. They get watered and fertilized regularly with my roses. Will update after the holidays..:)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner