Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squishierthanu

What on earth?

SquishierThanU
10 years ago

Prior to my tiny mango sapling becoming infested with aphids, I found these suckers on them. And now, they intend to conquer my Avocado! What are they and how can I get rid of them?!

Comments (5)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    10 years ago

Those are good guys. Kids call them 'trash bugs', & they eat other bugs!

Here is a link that might be useful: lacewing larvae

This post was edited by carolb_w_fl on Mon, Nov 25, 13 at 13:22

• SquishierThanU
    Original Author
    10 years ago

* Face Palm * Now I feel like a giant dummy for getting a bottle of pesticide. Your help has been invaluable carolb_w_fl, Thank you soooo much. Unfortunately, my mango was much to sickly to continue, but at least I have a good supplier for the seeds. -- Eventually, I'll learn. This is the first time I've bothered with large fruit trees. I normally just do a few veggies and flowers.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

Don't feel bad! I've been gardening for umpteen years and I just learned what a trash bug was last week. I get several newsletters weekly and a picture of one just happened to be in one of them. Such a funny bug. They somehow put tiny pieces of leaves on their bodies and they stick .Great camo from birds and such.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    10 years ago

Happy to be of help - & I have to say that closeup of the leaf looks pretty healthy�

• SquishierThanU
    Original Author
    10 years ago

^ Yes, the leave that are up higher are healthier, right below that layer however the leaves are crumpling and turning brown :( I have taken care not to over-water it as well. I'm not entirely sure, I'm probably being overly concerned since I lost the mango u_u . I will have to move it from it's ground location in the near future... It's not going to like that at all.