Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cxjr25

is this a borneo giant??

cxjr25
15 years ago

I recently purchased a "borneo giant" on ebay...But what I got just doesn't look like one...The borneo's leaves grow straight up. Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks all!

Comments (9)

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    Was hoping some sharp gardener would chime in lol. I find that whole Alocasia,Colocasia family so confusing. There are sooo many types not to mention hybrids,plus the culture method will produce widely variable plants.
    Have you tried on the Aroid forum?? gary

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    15 years ago

Unless your hand is much larger than depicted in the photo, I'd have a hard time calling that plant a "giant." It looks like a fairly common Aroid, although I don't know the name off the top of my head.

Be wary of what you buy on Ebay!

• keiki
    15 years ago

Its hard to tell since your plant is stressed. I can take a picture of mine and send it to you if you like. Email me if your interested but I wont be able to do it till tomorrow. Have a great Thanksgiving.

• junkyardgirl
    15 years ago

That is obviously a seedling, which means it could have crossed with anything in its proximity. The leaves look like they are going to have prominent veins, though, so I'd just give it time and see what happens. It won't be growing much this time of year, but they say the Borneo Giant grows very quickly, so by summer you should know for sure.

• cxjr25
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was expecting a leaf like this one, growing upwards...

Here is a link that might be useful:

• junkyardgirl
    15 years ago

Seedlings often look nothing like the parent plant. I've found that to be true with a lot of members of the philodendron family, in particular (yes, I know this isn't a philodendron). I have a giant anthurium as well that didn't look like it was supposed to until it got 5 years old.

I looked online for "borneo giant seedling" and there weren't many pics, but the ones I found all looked like yours. I'm relatively sure you didn't get shafted. Did the eBay seller have a good rating? If so, don't worry about it. Just let the little bugger grow, and it will be a big boy some day.

• cxjr25
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks junkyard...Hopefully it makes it through this tough time..Hasn't rained much here and I think the plant was very stressed during shipping.

Other than watering it, anyone have a trick for helping a seedling out through a rough patch?

Very new to gardeing...made the move from apt. to house recently.

• michaelgalvin
    15 years ago

Hi,

I just bought the same plant online and have confirmed it isn't a Borneo Giant. I've tried to reach the seller, but no response back.

Who did you buy it from?

michaelg
    sandiegoeconomy@yahoo.com

• cxjr25
    Original Author
    15 years ago

wellspring100, you?