Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brom in Bloom

Posted by tinael01 9B (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 18, 11 at 13:50

I got this from a yard sale a few months ago. Just look!
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brom in Bloom

Wow! How pretty. You did well! I think that's called Queen's Tears. At least that what a lady told me that had a huge one of those on her porch.

o

I never find any plants at yard sales. Looks like a nice haul for you.

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 18, 11 at 17:16

Very nice Tina, it looks happy there!

Tom

o

i love the colors in that one, not a clue for a name, have a few here and very cold hardy....nice find

o

Beautiful!

o

Amazing. I have seen that plant before and it looked ordinary. Now I see how extraordinary it is. I guess like my pineapples.. they looked pretty plain until I had my first pineapple poke out. They then became the neighborhood talk LOL

o

Thank you! It surprised the heck out of me I can tell you. :) I only started growing bromiliads this spring so I didn't expect it. But the timing (Thanksgiving) is awesome!

o

Very pretty. I look everywhere for Bromeliads. The last one I bought was from a retired clown's estate sale. It was sitting in a pot in the back yard, all over grown and a mess. They didn't have a price on it, but when I asked, they said $6.

There is a resale shop at my mother's assisted living. Once there were a bunch of ratty bromeliads out front.

I bring them all home and split them with my neighbor. It's fun!

I have not yet begun to dig up plants from people's abandoned yards, but have been tempted.

CB in Sarasota

o

My queen's tears has one lonely little bloom. Yours is gorgeous! Mine seems to bloom better in the spring.

o

What?! It will bloom again in spring? That't great! Thanks!

o

Yes, that one blooms twice, sometimes three times a year. I've got a couple of terra cotta pots filled with them and a few in a colony in the ground. Post the picture on the Bromeliad forum and they'll ID it for you.

o

It's Billbergia nutans commonly known as Queen Tears or Friendship Plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here