Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happyballz

Need advise on situation with numerous fruit plants

happyballz
12 years ago

First of all hello to all, I'm new here as a poster but been lurking around gardenweb for a while now. Finally gathered up to register and post in this knowledgeable community

So anyways, I decided to plant some fruit plants this year and went out on a shopping spree. Everything was going pretty good until now, my two peach trees and a plum both started to loose leaves rapidly, same story with 3 muscadine grapes.

It looks like perhaps some kind of a fungus attacking all of them but I am no sure since I am not positive at what time of the year all of them drop their leaves for the winter.

So if anyone could help figuring out if anything is going wrong with my plants that would be great! I really do not want them to die their first year lol.

Also, would it be wise spraying them with copper solution either way for the winter? Can I pretty much spray everything I have to protect from fungus?

The other plants I have are: 4 blueberry bushes (1 that was the "strongest/biggest" is doing so-so, see pictures), kumquat, surinam cherry, kiwi, blackberry(also has some yellow leaves), raspberry, two pineapple plants and a pomegranate.

What other sprays would I need to keep them all healthy besides fertilizer?

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Pictures:

Peaches:

{{gwi:975323}}

{{gwi:975324}}

{{gwi:975325}}

{{gwi:975326}}

{{gwi:975327}}

Plum:

Grapes:

Blueberries:

blackberry

Comments (5)

• starryrider
    12 years ago

It's the time of year that they shed leaaves. If you are concerned about fungus rake up and throw away all leaves that fall. It's too late in the season for fertilizer. You should wait till spring when they come out of dormancy.

• gatormomx2
    12 years ago

Perfect advice starryrider! You really know your stuff!
    This is a link that mentions all of your fruit issues for zone 9a.
    Check the links for more information and add
    solutionsforyourlife.com to your favorites.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruit Advice

• bamboo_rabbit
    12 years ago

Happyballz,

The plants look fine to me. I have a LOT of blueberries and while your plants look healthy and normal for this time of year the do show a lack of fertilizer. Next spring you may want to up the amount of nitrogen they get just make sure the fertilizer is for acid loving plants. You should see nice round buds on the blueberries, those will be your fruit come spring.

• happyballz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone!

I guess it's not as bad as it looked. But I was worried about peach leaf curl and from other posts here people seem to apply it for pro-active measures. I figure it couldn't hurt. I guess I will hold off on it.

Thanks for the website gatormomx2, finally found a place where I can test my soil and find extra info.

I will up the fertilizer next spring; where do you guys get your fertilizer from? Been using those shake n' feed stuff but I realize there are bigger/cheaper packages. Lowes and such only seem to carry fertilizer for grass in big bags.

And for those who have peaches / plums what do you guys use for pest control that is effective in our area, any pests I should lookout for in particular. As you can see my peaches were pretty much untouched by insects but that plum foliage was shredded.

As I read everything should be pruned around Jan-Feb?

Lastly, I still have two pineapples in small pots, is it ok to plant them this late in season?

Thanks again!

• zzackey
    12 years ago

Our grapes get pruned in Jan. Please look up how to properly prune them. Hubby does ours or I could tell you how to do them. We found out the hard way this year to only water them when they start to wilt. We have more leaves and growth then you can imagine! We watered alot because of the drought and we didn't want to lose all the grapes that were just forming.