Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deep 'taters

Posted by inulover 9A Inverness (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 14:12

I was shopping for seed potatoes and ran across this system. The seed is planted in a raised bed. As the plant grows the sides of the bed are raised and filled with dirt until the ground level is 3 feet or so off the ground. Supposedly you can triple or more the yield. Has anyone done this? It sounds like a good idea for my cramped garden.

Larry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deep 'taters

Sounds like a lot of soil needed to pile into the box. Sure it's somewhat gradual, but once done and harvested, you still have a lot of dirt to deal with.

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 19:41

Larry - If you want to hill the potatoes, you can also use straw. That is what I used the last time that I grew them in fabric bags. But from what I understand only late potatoes benefit from this practice and not the early varieties like Yukon Gold. It is good to keep the potatoes covered because you don't want them to get green exposed to the sun. If the raised bed is deep enough, they will have enough room to expand. If you plant them now and we have a frost, they will survive if you cover them in cold nights.

Some of the potatoes that I grew in past seasons...

Photobucket

Silvia

o

Thanks Silvia. I got Canela Russet and Russian Fingerling. Both are 100 day varieties. I was planning to raise the bed with a combination of straw and compost/soil. Hopefully the straw will break down some and I can use it as make-up dirt for my other beds when the potatoes are done. The sand dune I'm living on can use all the organics I can throw at it.

Larry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here