Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
morningloree

Kara-Re: Hawaiin Sunset Vine

morningloree
10 years ago

Just letting you know, your Hawaiin Sunset Vine should have flower buds on it. It is a fall bloomer, so hopefully we won't have any artic north weather so you can enjoy your blooms. Thanks for all the plants, they are all doing well.

Comments (9)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

Mine is full of buds. I'm in NE FL. We have had a few nights in the 50's and supposed to get a few in the 40's but then bounce back up. They are really tender and I have to put mine in the greenhouse in the winter. It is quite a monster.
    The buds sure do look festive- like holiday light bulbs lol.

{{gwi:563887}}

• morningloree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mine is a monster, too. Before I knew how large it could get, I gave a small cutting to another gardenweb member, it has grown huge for her and I wanted to let her know, it wasn't just going to stay a huge tower of green! Mine has spilled out onto the ground and keeps the soil moist, which my gardenias love. While it is a monster, it is friendly and "gets along well" with the rest of the plants in it's vicinity. Your blooms are beautiful, thanks for sharing. I will be looking forward to mine soon!

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

That vine has such a pretty flower, but I didn't have the room for it at the time I had it. I swear it grew 2ft in a day.

• starryrider
    10 years ago

Thats awesome

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

Mine would take over the yard if I let it lol. I just found a long branch that snaked its way into the greenhouse in a crack in the roof corner, from outside and has little buds all along the branch about 20 feet! Very sneaky of it to do that so I wouldn't cut it off lol. They are nice vines but you certainly have to stay on top of them.

• kayjones
    10 years ago

Mine didn't do very well over this summer. Last year, it was gorgeous, but it didn't hold its leaves this year.

We are getting cold weather for the next two days and it isn't possible to take it in the greenhouse.

I have it covered with a blanket, so I'll see if it makes it through the next two days. I doubt I'll get any blooms this year.

• KaraLynn
    10 years ago

I noticed the buds on mine on sunday and I can't wait to see them open! Once the vine gets knock back by a frost I'm going to move it's pot back into my shade garden. It really doesn't seem happy being in full sun but that was the only place I could think to put it. Come spring I'll have to rig up a trellis for it near the shade garden.

• diane_v_44
    10 years ago

I never knew what this plant was called
    had to laugh when I saw the pictures
    I had planted this attractive vine at my place in Florida
    I left in early May returning in November of same year

I had had a gardener of sorts triming the yard and he said when I did see him that he had been cutting the plant all summer

I could not believe it though when I came to my house that November

The vine had grown right over the house and all over the place The blooms on it where just fabulous but I ripped it all out. Just was so overgrown
    I have never seen anything like it.

Nice to see photos of the plant here but I shall never give it a try again.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

That reminds me of Ornamental Sweet Potato Vine 'Margarita' (Ipomoea batatas 'Margarita') when it is very happy: you can trim off 1-3 feet per vine every week!

The flowers are beautiful - and they are pink - you know how I am about pink - makes me want to try it!

Carol in Jacksonville

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994