Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
metal_rabbit

mister landscaper for tomatoes? using emitters from other manuft

metal_rabbit
14 years ago

They sell Mister Landscaper irrigation locally at Lowes, and I'd like to try it on a small area of tomatoes with nearby a couple of knock roses and a couple of starter banana trees. I'd like to get more info on how to do this area on one timer. Do I use microsprayers for all these plants including tomatoes? (microsprayers for tomatoes?!) Also - Mr. Landscaper has no shut off valves for 1/2 tubing, and I wonder if there's a good way to work around that. How does using emitters from other manufacturers including 1/2 tubing shut off valves work out with this system. I have sun to partial sun/shade (changes in seasons), so I that's why I'm asking questions about shut off valves and using emitters from other manufacturers. Can I set this system up from a hose until I know whether this small trial system will work O.K.?

I've mainly used soaker hoses for vegetables in the past, but this area slopes in vertical and horizontal directions and also, it isn't planted for soaker hose layout, and I and am looking into another type of irrigation.

Thanks.

Sheila

Comments (6)

• eileen_nv
    14 years ago

I wouldn't use misters on tomatoes, because of their sensitivity to molds and blights. Drippers at the root zone are best, with no water getting on the foliage. I'm not familiar with the system you are looking at, but if you could combine it with a drip line for the tom's, it sounds good.

Good luck, let us know what you do and how it works!
    Eileen

• solstice98
    14 years ago

I don't think you want mist on the roses either because of black spot. Drip lines or soaker hoses are best for roses and tomatoes.

Kate

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    14 years ago

the mister landscape system has misting heads but it also has drip heads--you can switch them out. they have one, two, half, three... etc gallon drips. they are a very good choice for tomatoes, esp if you are growing them in pots. (castorp had a great system for pineapples and tomatoes in pots--work perfectly, better than hand-watering.)

i used to use the mister landscaper system--in the end, most people give up on it because, unless you're a very tidy gardener who never changes setup, it ends up being a pain in the neck. that said, it's a good system, and if you're willing to re-do it every time you change your garden, it will work well. i like the design a lot--simple and low-tech.

• metal_rabbit
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Went over to Lowe's and asked one of the sales people if there was a way to create a shut off value out of PVC since Mr. Landscaper system doesn't have one. There is -- you take a piece of the Mr. Lanscaper 1/2 repair supply line (thicker than the supply line) and install a PVC ball and hammer (I think it's called)to shut off and couple that back onto the supply line. Though I will try Digg's shut value for 1/2 supply line first.

The next thing is try to get an idea of how much GPH the emitters should put out, how many, and how long they need to run and how close to place them to the plants.

I think I finally decided to try drip irrigation for perenial plants is because I found I could run it from a hose for a while, can put the emitters directly into the 1/2 inch supply line, use emitters from other manufacturers, and 100 feet of Mr. Landscaper supply line about $13 at Lowes. Plan to run the system with 155 to 200 filter and calcium filter (calcium buildup is a problem with water supply in this area).

Sheila

• deltagirl
    13 years ago

I am trying Mister Landscaping from Lowes in several beds around my house and yard. We have a high lime content in our water. Is there something I should do to help prevent problems?

I purchased extra supply line from Lowe's and it is already installed--except for the part that makes it possible to hook it to the faucet. Unfortunately, this tubing wall is thicker than the Mister Landscape line so the adapter doesn't fit. How can I fix this?

Does anybody have any experience that I might use?
    Thanks.

• Constance_Lacker
    9 years ago

Mister Landscaper now has a 1/2-inch valve, but Lowe's doesn't carry it. It can be had from Mr. Landscaper. Shipping is expensive. There is a flat rate of $10.95 so it's best to order several.

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years