Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

growing asparagus in Florida

Please don't say 'look in the search box'. I've tried that; it's just been about whether or not it's possible to grow asparagus in general.

What I'm asking about is varieties of asparagus that have been bred for hot and dry climates, so it's not the same thing as just growing asparagus in general.

I know that for southern states, it's not a good idea to try and grow asparagus. Namely because they require overwintering periods of being dormant; temperatures in any part of Florida (or throughout the south) just don't become low enough.

However I've found some varieties of heat tolerant asparagus, bred for being grown in hot and dry climates.

Since an asparagus patch has a long 'shelf life' once established, I'm wondering if the varieties of asparagus designed for hot, dry climates would produce a viable asparagus patch for a long period of time?

I ask this and bring it up because if asparagus is grown in Florida (or any southern state/climate) and is successful, it only lasts for a couple of seasons.

I'm trying to avoid this. Here are the varieties I found

Apollo

UC-157

Does anybody know of any other varieties that are suitable for hot and dry climates? These are the only ones I've managed to find.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH