Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bhammie85

Tomato leaves wilting one by one

bhammie85
10 years ago

Hi all,

My tomato leaves are starting to wilt one by one. It usually starts at the end of the lowest stem and works it's way up to the main stem, and then up to the next lowest stem.

This is happening on my black prince heirloom and my husky cherry red. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

Looks like an insect of some kind, maybe spider mites.

• bhammie85
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hadn't even thought of that! Here's another photo from another plant. I have neem oil, is there anything else I should be treating it with?

• scents_from_heaven
    10 years ago

That along with B a y e r Fruit Critus and Vegetable Insect control. It is a systemic solution that you water into the soil. That along with giving your plants a good spray and wash with a mixture of dishwashing liquid to water will also help or just water. You can also use your neem oil. I would also use what I suggested above to help systemically. It looks somewhat like an aphid and spider mite infestation Hope this helps.

• bhammie85
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much! I'll give it a try.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    10 years ago

Here's some info on common tomato diseases in FL & some remedies as well....

Here is a link that might be useful: tomato diseases

• bhammie85
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!

I also found this guy today on another plant (he's yellow on the top part of the leaf). Is it a baby horned caterpillar? I have noticed really tiny little holes in the leaves too.

No one told me this many bugs loved tomato plants...sigh.

• scents_from_heaven
    10 years ago

The little tiny holes are caused by Flea Beetles

• bhammie85
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just a quick update - I've been spraying regularly with insecticidal soap (Dr. Bronners + oil + water) and neem oil and my plants are doing great! I keep killing the white flies that like my brandywine, but other than that everything is healthy again.

I also started planting my newer plants in containers (instead of terrible FL soil) and dang, they're growing like gangbusters! I'm very excited!

Thanks for your help!