Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato leaves wilting one by one

Posted by bhammie85 10a St. Pete (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 14:54

Hi all,

My tomato leaves are starting to wilt one by one. It usually starts at the end of the lowest stem and works it's way up to the main stem, and then up to the next lowest stem.

This is happening on my black prince heirloom and my husky cherry red. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato leaves wilting one by one

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 18:17

Looks like an insect of some kind, maybe spider mites.

o

I hadn't even thought of that! Here's another photo from another plant. I have neem oil, is there anything else I should be treating it with?

o

That along with B a y e r Fruit Critus and Vegetable Insect control. It is a systemic solution that you water into the soil. That along with giving your plants a good spray and wash with a mixture of dishwashing liquid to water will also help or just water. You can also use your neem oil. I would also use what I suggested above to help systemically. It looks somewhat like an aphid and spider mite infestation Hope this helps.

o

Thanks so much! I'll give it a try.

o
Wilt or blight, perhaps?

Here's some info on common tomato diseases in FL & some remedies as well....

Here is a link that might be useful: tomato diseases

o

Thanks!

I also found this guy today on another plant (he's yellow on the top part of the leaf). Is it a baby horned caterpillar? I have noticed really tiny little holes in the leaves too.

No one told me this many bugs loved tomato plants...sigh.

o

The little tiny holes are caused by Flea Beetles

o

Just a quick update - I've been spraying regularly with insecticidal soap (Dr. Bronners + oil + water) and neem oil and my plants are doing great! I keep killing the white flies that like my brandywine, but other than that everything is healthy again.

I also started planting my newer plants in containers (instead of terrible FL soil) and dang, they're growing like gangbusters! I'm very excited!

Thanks for your help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here