Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dixondale onion counts?

Posted by derbyka 10a (St. Pete) (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 15:15

I ordered onion transplants from Dixondale last year. They advertise 60-75 onions per bunch, but I got well over 150 in each bundle! Several went to waste and since they are expensive, I want to plan better this year. I did order very late for short day varieties (end of January/beginning of Feb) so I was wondering if maybe they had a lot of extra to get rid of at that point in time? Does anyone else have experience getting large bundles from them? Just want to know if it was a fluke or if I can plan on getting a lot again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dixondale onion counts?

• Posted by rednofl 9b Goldenrod Fl hz (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 18:06

I ordered from them 3 years ago and the counts were very close except when the plants were tiny they would add a few xtra but nowhere near what you are describing. This year I ordered sweet potatoes and the shipped late because of the varaties I wanted some I got none and some I got 30 when I ordered 6. I would say end of season is a crap shoot.

o

That's what I was afraid of. I guess I will just count on getting the normal amount then.

o

Well, the verdict is in. I ordered 4 bunches and they all have way over the 55-75 though the starts are pretty skimpy. I counted one bundle, and it has 226. I think that they are all pretty comparable. After I give some away to others at the community garden, I will probably have a lot of extra to offer to anyone here in St. Pete.

o

If anyone here in the St. Pete area wants any of my extra transplants, let me know. I have Texas Legend (the new Dixondale short day variety this year - more nutritious, bigger, and longer storage than the Texas sweet). I also have yellow granex and southern belle red hybrid (which did well for me last year even planted in late Jan). I will post this in the Florida Exchange as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here