Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dragonfly717

fall/winter plants & flowers zone 9b/10

dragonfly717
10 years ago

Just happened to go through the WM garden center and was blown away by all the beautiful flowers they had just placed out. Then I started looking at their labels....Lady Phlox. Pansies, etc. These are all northern plants that will not thrive here...even in our winters?? Too dry? i was pretty bummed but thought I'd ask advice here. I lost many of my Periwinkle (Vinca) beds to all the rain we had this summer and would like to add some color.

I've seen New Guinea impatiens being placed around our developments. Any other/additional suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Jamie

Comments (19)

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

I found most of the northern plants do live here through the winter unless we get a cold spell. They can't take the heat and humidity of the nights in the summer. I do have a sprinkler so they get water 2x a week, plus rain.

• ladywingr
    10 years ago

I've had good luck with geraniums (pelargonium?), dusty miller, some luck with bush daisy, osteopermum, gazania, and gaillardia. Oh and whatever those little white flowers are that mound and spread out, the name escapes me at the moment - starts with an "a". Trying blue daze, penta and lantana this year - but I planted them in August and October. Also trying SunPatiens this year. They're not filling in very well, so I'm guessing they aren't liking the irrigation water.

I do have mostly amended soil from my native alkaline (7.8), and some of the plants get irrigation from a well 2x week. Well has salt intrusion (3.85) so many things I've tried have gotten salt burn.

It's always an experiment, maybe I should have studied harder and passed my botany class! But then, the experiments wouldn't be as fun. Good luck!

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

Don't be surprised to see little periwinkles coming up this spring. I still have them coming up 2 years later.

I have had winter luck with violas and pansies. Some even came up in the spring after it was too hot for the original plants. Begonias also have done well in the winter. My geraniums look best in the winter. These are going on 3 years old and are starting to look a little sad, but still flowering nicely. All needed extra water during our dry winter.

I am trying the Sunpatience this year. (fingers crossed!) They are on the south side of the house and get full sun, so I guess I'll see how sun tolerant they really are. I replaced some sad, old blue sage that did very well in the winter and so-so in the summer. These were almost 3 years old, too.

Hope that helps!

• morningloree
    10 years ago

Firespike, Tibouchina, and Crossandra are blooming right now. Some Canna lilies are blooming as well as Pentas. I am trying Violas, right now they are full of blooms.

• dragonfly717
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all! We had to run to Lowes and I saw some amazing Amazon Dianthus ("Neon Purple") that I am replacing where my Blue Salvia didn't thrive. They had some alyssum there, too, ladywingr, which I had last year and like but it was rather pricy for the size. I found some "SunHosta" there as well. Oh boy...if this works I will be a happy camper as I love Hosta!

I was unsure about the dusty miller, I haven't had luck with it in the past. It was in my cart and I should have bought it! I love the soft gray and purples together...maybe I'll go back tomorrow :)

Thank you all for the suggestions. I have it all saved and hoping for a great fall/winter garden :)

• Dayna78
    10 years ago

Snapdragons and zinnias!

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

Yea! Lowes has alyssum in? Guess where I'm headed tomorrow!

• dragonfly717
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Crenda

They do have it, but it was $3 for a small pint (I got mine last year for $.89 so going to hold off for that price :) I'm stubborn!

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

I have a feeling the hosta won't do well, I am sorry to say. The snails eat them to the ground.

• dragonfly717
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Katkin. I had a feeling it was a longshot. I'm tempted to return them today (I only bought 2 teeny ones) and grab the dusty miller. Now I have to get out there and start digging. Those Amazon Dianthus look so pretty out there already.

• whgille
    10 years ago

Hi Jamie

Vinca and nasturtiums reseed for me in this spot

I keep this hosta in a pot

Planted violas in this spot where I had begonias in warmer months.

Silvia

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

I took this picture at 2 PM today. Sunpatience are supposed to thrive in full sun. I am having my doubts. I have to water them morning and night, with the occasional afternoon water as well. So far, they are taking a lot more tending than I had anticipated. Hope I can keep them going until it cools down, but the reason I purchased them was the resilience to heat and full sun.

• ladywingr
    10 years ago

Silvia - I love your red shrimps! Are the stems braided?

Crenda - that's a really hot spot you have the Sunpatiens in - the stone mulch combined with the reflective heat from the house. The article linked below discusses temperature ranges - looks like 80* is the top of the line.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunpatiens and Heat

• dragonfly717
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all those photos Silvia. I really appreciate the input. The violas are really so very sweet and you can't help but smile when you see them (a quote from my 4 yr old daughter)

As far as the SunHosta, just by weird chance, I linked up to a local grower in Naples "American Farms" on Facebook. Holy moly they have some beautiful plants and a CROP of hosta growing. All their pics are amazing.

Crenda, those stones will give off a lot of heat. I had luck with them around my palms where they get a tiny amount of shade but lots of air flow. The ones labeled "SunPatiens" did much better than the New Guinea Impatiens (which actually did say part shade).

I got my 10 Amazon Dianthus in this morning and I LOVE THEM!

:) Back to surf the American Farms photos and see what to look for next :) Oh and they have that Lady Phlox I mentioned above too, stating Phlox for florida! :)

Here's their crop of SunHosta

• dragonfly717
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the Phlox....how very pretty!!!

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

Yes - the rocks are hot. I can't sit on them to weed or plant. We must have 50 tons of pea gravel around the house. They were already here when we bought. There is a 4 foot perimeter around the entire house with larger areas, maybe 15 feet wide for gardening and landscape.

I think I have put these in too soon. It is still in the mid 80s or so. I had a large areca palm providing some filtered shade to this area, but just lost it to ganoderma. SO I am adjusting my plants. These are labeled SunPatience, so I had hopes. I guess I just rushed into planting.

Oh well - if I have to water twice a day to get them through this heat, so be it. They actually perk back up quickly. I just wanted to let y'all know they will require attention for a while.

• whgille
    10 years ago

You are welcome Jamie, and I agree with you kids said the cutest things at that age.:)

Ladywingr, the red shrimps are braided but I have to admit that it looked better before, I have to learn how to shape it.:)

Silvia

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

They gravel is bad. I learned the hard way. It will even kill trees planted in it. It cooks the roots!

Jane

• ladywingr
    10 years ago

Silvia, thanks for the extra pic. I may have to play with mine next year and see what I can do.

Terri