Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joeblfsk

Max height of a Carrie mango tree ?

Just this morning I drove down to Pine Island and bought a Carrie mango tree. It's in a large pot and is 6 1/2 feet tall above the soil. Just curious, have had no success in finding out the eventual rough height this tree may reach if left alone. I am hoping it will be less than 22 or 23 ft,...already have a 5 yr old Vallencia Pride that has zoomed to 25 + ft. One of those is enough on my 1/4 ac lot ! lol.
Anyone out there with first hand knowledge ? Thanks.

This post was edited by jofus on Thu, Nov 20, 14 at 8:52

Comments (26)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

OK - since this was still sitting w/no replies, I did a bit of a search & found this right away:

"Carrie- This is one of the best most highly regarded of the dwarf Mangoes. Carrie can produce fruit when still young & the trees are perfect for large containers. Carrie Mangoes grow 6 to 10 feet high & wide (especially if planted in the ground)& the plant can be kept to fruit at just 4 feet tall. The fruit grows to the size of a fist or larger they are oval to roundish in shape. The fruit are relatively ugly for a Mango. The fruit are green turning lime green to yellow (often blotchy here in Southern California) when ripe. The inside of this fruit is another story, the deep gold flesh is smooth fiber less & melting with an honey sweet rich Mango flavor."

So unless there's another Carrie that's NOT dwarf....

Here is a link that might be useful: Source

• jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Carol, now believe I saw that site but somehow found it hard to believe this particular tree would top out at 10 ft. Had a vague idea that the Carrie was supposed to be a small " condo type " of tree, but after planting it I saw that it was easily 7 ft tall !!! One of the largest mango trees I've ever planted. At 6' 2" tall, was easy to gauge it's height just by standing next to it.
    A gorgeous young tree, very compact growth habit and vibrant looking. Sorry I was unable to post a photo taken today.
    Was simply curious if anyone out there had planted one on their property and let it grow for 5 years or longer. Did it indeed stop growing at 9 or 10 feet ? From what I see now, I can easily Imagine this tree growing much taller. Time will tell.
    This is my 7th and last mango tree, but somehow feel it will turn out to be one of my favorites !
    Thanks again.

This post was edited by jofus on Tue, Nov 25, 14 at 10:25

Original Author
    9 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBsuuJJFQMM

Us engineers are weird I must admit ! Just had to know what the future holds for this robust tree, Looking at this seven footer, found it hard to believe it would stop growing at 10 feet.
    Finally found a site ( above ) that shows what a Carrie can become in time . I surely will not be here in 30 + yrs, but nice to be able to tell the next owner whenever I sell, exactly what this Carrie mango tree will become eventually if not aggressively pruned.
    Wow ! Taller than even I imagined !

This post was edited by jofus on Wed, Nov 26, 14 at 12:51

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Keep in mind that in order to oh so conveniently top out where you want it to as a garden specimen a tree has to suddenly stop growing.

Yet remain healthy and attractive.

Trees only stop growing if they have gone into a severe decline, been killed back by something or died completely.

Even the tallest coast redwoods make new height growth every year.

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

I'm in the same boat...I have a Pickering mango (which I really love the flavor)...bought it with the assumption of a "dwarfish" size mango tree...its only a little over 2 years old and its HUGE!! Pugged it back in late early Oct...

Before pugging...late Oct

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

After pugging...

Its now flushing like crazy and it actually has a couple blooms as well :o)

I waited too late to pug it... so I'm thinking I'm not going to have too many mangoes from this tree next year? Fingers crossed I get a few...next year I need to prune it sooner....

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Pug, your Pickering is gorgeous, gives me something to shoot for with my young Pickering. Reading your posts inspired me, ( plus the 80 deg temps ), two hours ago to get out back and lightly prune ( tip ? ) 4 of my 7 mango trees.
    Am looking forward to a great season, the experts at UF say it normally takes 3 to 5 yrs for these babies to have any hope of a respectable harvest, so this should be the 1st year my Kent shows some life ! ( fingers crossed ).
    Everythings ready, C9 Christmas tree lights strung on the 4 youngest trees and 3 trees already showing pannicles since mid Nov, ( Mallika, Glenn and Tebow ),..am optimistic about the rest.

This post was edited by jofus on Sat, Dec 13, 14 at 10:14

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Thanks Jofus...Fingers crossed we have a nice harvest in the summer :o)

• chuckurso1
    8 years ago

Hello Jofus! I am next to you in Pt. Charlotte and have a Carrie in my yard that I planted back in 1995. It survived the 2004 hurricane in which I lost my home. My Carrie has topped out at about 18-20 ft and stays about that size and width is about 20-22ft.

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked chuckurso1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Chuck, Thanks for your brief but thought - provoking blurb. I moved here to Englewood from the Upper Keys on Sept 2, 2004, less than 3 weeks after Hurricane Charlie left the area. Am so sorry you lost your home, I can just imagine the trauma, hope you guys were able to get out in time as I know there were no early warnings as Charlie made a sudden, abrupt turn to the right, plowing right up Charlotte Harbor. I got a close up look at the devastation and was in shock !!! Englewood's destruction was minimal compared to Pt Charlotte's,.. seemed like there were blue roofs in Pt Charlotte for three years afterwards. But to actually lose your entire home,..words escape me.

The damage and loss of life was so bad that they removed the name Charlie from any future hurricanes, as I'm sure you know.

As for your Carrie mango tree, you are the first to report on their approximate eventual mature height of 18 to 20 ft based on actual experience That will be perfect for me here,..no way did I want another 40 + ft giant. How do you rate their taste ? Some " experts " say it's the best tasting mango in the world !

So far so good, my skinny youngster gained 6 inches in last 5 months and looks compact and very healthy. It's my favorite " little guy " right now, getting lots of TLC,..have high hopes for it in the future. Thanks again for your report, just what I was looking for.

• chuckurso1
    8 years ago

Hello Jofus! I am a big time collector of fruit trees and am quite passionate about my trees. Like you, I have 7 planted. As far as pros and cons, first the pros! 1. it has an extended season as you probably know, and here it starts about June 6, give or take a few days and ends the first week in Aug. Last year was odd and she had mango into late Aug, and first time ever. 2. an easy tree to care for, like in real easy, and keeps a nice shape as you can probably tell now. 3. Flavor is very good, but they can be inconsistent in that department do to ripening and eating at perfect time. Now to cons and this relates to flavor. 1. You have to get them at peak time, which is not so easy since they will drop from tree unexpectedly. If they hit the ground, half or most of fruit is ruined. 2. The fruits are hard to see when tree is older because they hide so well do to their green color and lack of holding ability.
    We do not have the severe fungus issues as does the East coast, so that is a blessing here. Yes, we have fungus issues, just not as bad from all I have heard. They seem to have many serious issues with Dot, Ice Cream, and a few others. I care for many trees weekly since it is my job in pest control, so witness quite extensively the health of all types of trees and treat them.
    Now back to flavor, which is more opinion but it's good to hear so many positives about a fruit. My first pick, without a shadow of a doubt, is Dot. My tree is in it's 3rd year and is about 9 ft tall. I tip prune regularly and she is holding a good amount this year, roughly 50 fruit. The season is slightly longer for Dot than Carrie here, by about 2 weeks and may be do to it holding on the tree so much better, she just does not drop them on the ground at all so you can tree ripen to perfection here. Fungus issues are minimal but yes, you should spray her. I have read on the other popular site for mango collectors that on the East coast, Carrie has a heavy first fruit set, then a lighter one. This is not accurate here from all I have seen over 25 years of growing 3 different Carries and here it is the opposite, having a lighter first set, then heavy production from second bloom in late July where they are rapidly ripening at 6-8 per day. Another con is they do not keep well, going bad much faster do to its obvious low fiber. My tree can produce about 250 - 300 fruit, and this was counting them as I collected them. This year I will have at least 125 fruit or so since I wanted to cut her back to graft another variety on her, which is Pina Colada and it went well.

• chuckurso1
    8 years ago

And thank you for your kind words in regards to the hurricane. It happened to be my birthday as well, yep, it fell on Friday the 13th and my legal name is Charles. lol and the house was all new, just finished three days before the hurricane.

• chuckurso1
    8 years ago

I second the gorgeous pickering tree Pug! great job!

• chuckurso1
    8 years ago

I just read the writeup by Carol and I know she was just repeating what she read. That is the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard! (sorry Carol, it's not directed at you). Like I mentioned I have not only grown this variety for over 20 years but have also sold countless Carrie trees. This cultivar grows like a snowball, every bit as wide as tall. I can see keeping it 12 ft tall by 10 -12 ft wide, but that would be a job to do it, since you will be pruning it all the time! Of course this is in time, since it is moderately vigorous!

• puglvr1
    8 years ago

Thanks Chuck!! I am SO Sorry to hear about that hurricane that causeed you to lose your home...so devastating! I'm glad you made it out safe and sound though!

If you ever have a Carrie or 2 to sell... I would absolutely love to try it...I do not live too far from you and I have been wanting to try them again...I've been told by many how great these mangoes are...though its been many years ago since I tasted one and that particular one was "off" in flavor...guessing it wasn't picked at the right time?

Please email me if we can work something out...

Thanks,

Nancy

• chuckurso1
    8 years ago

Hello Nancy! thank you for kind words! I think I felt the worst for some of my trees, I lost almost all but Carrie. Why don't we just trade a few, what do you have growing? I also want to get something going on this side for a taste testing in the next few years, something where people bring whatever cultivar they are growing and have a taste off. I actually just planted Pina Colada today so I am up to 8 mango trees now. That is one mango that you can keep very small, I say easily 10 ft. and 6 -8 ft wide. I have it on the side of my house in a very protected spot with my Ice Cream mango and Pickering.

• puglvr1
    8 years ago

I'm having a very bad mango year :o( Powdery mildew and Freeze got me this year...but I have a few Cogshall and Glenn on the tree...whether they make it through ripening I'm keeping my fingers crossed,lol... Trading sounds good if I get some to ripen :o)

• chuckurso1
    8 years ago

Sorry to hear about your anguish Nancy! How old are your trees? they sound young!. As far as the powdery mildew problem, why is it that bad for you? I am curious as to what you are using and amounts of product.

• puglvr1
    8 years ago

Thanks Chuck...that's the problem, I didn't treat them at all I was told to use sulphur but by the time I realized I had to treat them ...it was too late once the blooms were open...then the "freeze" hit them. The oldest trees I have are 7 years old and my youngest ( Maha Chinook) is only 2 years old but just planted inground 9 months ago. It has about 4 mangoes, but I'm sure they all won't mature...

• chuckurso1
    8 years ago

Ok, I see what happened. Yes copper at 4 tsp per gal of water will take care of it along with any anthracnose. I know how much we all want fruit early, but most of the time it is best to strip the tree of it's fruit until that tree is solidly rooted and at least the caliper of tree is about 5-6 inches. If you put your hand around the trunk and wiggle, if there is play in the root zone and tree wiggles, then it is usually too early to fruit. You always get more fruit in a four year period by waiting it out. My friend let his coconut cream fruit and I warned him. That tree is still not rooted properly after 2 years and is dinky, just for that one fruit. Too much energy went into fruit production and nothing left for the growth of the roots. I would never let them fruit the first 2-3 years in ground, not for a few fruit, just not worth it.

• chuckurso1
    8 years ago

where are you located Nancy? How far from me in P.C ?

• puglvr1
    8 years ago

Thanks Chuck! I do agree with you about letting the tree get more established before fruiting...its just so darn hard to strip the fruits,lol...But I know that's the right thing to do!

I live in Highlands County (Sebring)...probably about an hour and a half from you?

• chuckurso1
    8 years ago

I totally understand, and it is difficult especially with a cultivar you have never tasted. I let my Ice Cream have 19 fruit at 8 ft tall this year. We had a wicked storm here this afternoon and I found my papaya tree knocked over along with my ice cream partially knocked over and it was staked where the wind was blowing from. I lost 7 fruit and my Carrie lost 35-40, it was that bad. If you can make it out here when season is in, I will give you a couple to try of the Carrie! Like I mentioned before, I like the fruit, but it cannot compare to a Dot, but all IMHO.

• puglvr1
    8 years ago

Thanks Chuck! I'm am SO sorry you lost all those mangoes due to the storm...how awful!!!

Send me an email when they are ready... if I can make it out your way I'll definitely let you know...thanks again!!

Nancy

• chuckurso1
    8 years ago

Thanks Nancy! You are welcome. I will let you know when it is time.