Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bri_26

Ficus Help

Bri.26
10 years ago

I just noticed what looks to be scales on the leaves of my ficus tree. This is on every leaf and on front and back. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Thanks

Comments (13)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    10 years ago

A bit too blurry to be certain, but it doesn't look like any insect scale I'm familiar w/ - looks a lot like residue from reclaimed water or similar.....

• Bri.26
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will take a better picture when i get home today. I believe water residue would just wipe off and these you have to scratch off with your nail and look just like tiny fish scales..

• - -
    10 years ago

I also would like to know what this is. I found these on a small ficus. They are scales that are hard to remove. I used soap and scrubbed each leaf. The scales are trying to return. The plant is not looking good. I don't want to lose it.

Can someone please identify this scale and recommend a pesticide?

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

Are these growing in the ground or in pots? Looks like scale to me. Try an oil spray like Neem or even fish emulsion.

Jane

• - -
    10 years ago

Mine are in pots. It is scale that I have never seen before.

Something stronger than Neem is needed. Probably a systemic. I am afraid of an uncontrollable infestation among my other plants.

Can anyone identify this type of scale?

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

Can you take a clearer picture. To be honest I don't see the shells. Might not be scale. Try to post a clear picture.

Jane

• Bri.26
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Im sorry that it took me so long to get back with the picture but here are a few. To answer your question about the location my tree is outside on a patio in a large pot. Ialso noticed for the first time today while i was taking the pictures these very small white insects that are the same color as the scales..i tried to take the best photos i could...my tree is looking worse everyday and i need to find a cure fast..it was a gift from my grandmother who has.since passed away and i would be absolutely heartbroken if anything happened to it! Thank you so much for your help!

• Bri.26
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dead leaf with scales

• Bri.26
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Leaf with scales

• Bri.26
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Leaf with scales

• Bri.26
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Leaf with scales

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

Looks like whitefly. It can kill all the leaves in a couple of months if left untreated. I use Bayer Advanced Tree and Shrub Protect and Feed, which can be found at Lowe's, Home Depot , etc. This is a drench that is systemic - taking a little while for the tree to pull it up to the leaves. Watering helps. They also have a 3-in-1 spray for bugs, disease and mites that works immediately, but it's hard to hit every spot. I generally use both when I see whitefly.

Google whitefly on ficus.

Also, the whitefly is hard to see. Shake a limb to disturb them. You should see a little cloud of flies, if that is what you have. Hope this helps.

Good luck!

• - -
    10 years ago

Dear Bri.26. Thank you for posting again. I was feeling badly that I hijacked your thread. Please keep us posted as to how your plant is doing and if whitefly is what you have.

I did Google whitefly on ficus. Apparently a fairly new pest. I have not seen the flies but everything else applies. I have 5 ficus on my lanai so I will follow through with treatment. Thank you Crenda. This was very new to me and I did not have a clue.

And Bri thank you for posting initially and bringing up this problem because there are probably others out there who may also have this but do not know it.