Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chara2

Finally, I harvested my Cucuzza

chara2
9 years ago

Due to constant battle with CVB, I gave up on growing cucurbita pepo and decided to substitute it with something else. Past summer, I tried to grow cucuzza with no success. At first, some creature ate the seeds in the ground � I blame the squirrels, but who knows. After I started new plants and transplanted them, the heat wave came and everything was wilting. So, the vine barely survived the summer, didn't grow well, looking sick, but I still kept it. Suddenly in the end of September, when the weather cooled down, it took off and started blooming. Now there were 7 fruits hanging at around 2 feet long each. I harvested the smaller fruits and left one 2,5 footer on the vine. Just wondering � will it be able develop some violable seeds before the first freeze. I understand that it is 1% against 99%, but still hope for the best. Some nights it is down to 40F, but it doesn�t seem to bother the vine. Since I never had cucuzza before, I was wondering if I either will like it. Well, I do! It has nice, mild squash taste and I recommend it to all, who is tired to fight with CVB. Next spring there will be a lot more of cucuzza growing in my back yard and I will try some trombocino.

This post was edited by chara2 on Sun, Nov 16, 14 at 12:44

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!