Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leahrenee1

Aji Dulce, Cachucha peppers

leahrenee1
15 years ago

I was reading an old thread and I see that these are supposed to grow decently in central florida, which makes me happy, but how to grow them? I was given a little guy in a pot and I think he hates me, I am not sure he has enough sun though. Right now he is on the north side of the house, should I move him to the south side? I realize it may be a good long while before I get any peppers but I would really like to not kill it right away! ;)

Comments (14)

• countrynest
    15 years ago

Hi,leahrenee1.
    Cachucha needs sun just like any other pepper.
    Be careful with frost as it will likely kill it.
    Once the plant starts producing peppers it will keep going and going.
    Felix

• whgille
    15 years ago

Hi Felix

I planted Aji Dulce last season (are these the same as Cachucha?)
    They were big producers for me, I kind of ignored them and only water them when very dry.
    Some were sweet with a touch of heat, some were hotter.

Willy

• countrynest
    15 years ago

Hi,Willy.
    Cachucha means hat or better yet caps which is what they look like. They are sweet,not hot at all. Aji dulce means sweet pepper.
    Now at the grocers I have seen hot peppers that look like cachucha. I had never seen nor heard of the hot one.
    I guess we need to google. LOL
    Felix

• katkin_gw
    15 years ago

Peppers can cross pollunate, so if a hot pepper is planted near a sweet one it can get hot.:o)

• wanda662
    15 years ago

Really Katkin? Guess I better move my Cachucha pepper away from the Datil!

• castorp
    15 years ago

Are you all growing these in the ground or in pots? When grown in the ground do they suffer from diseases the way regular garden peppers do (for me anyway)? I'm growing my aji dulce in pots, and also a very similar pepper called Trinidad Perfume. So far, so good. Very healthy plants--much prettier than most sweet pepper bushes. They have amazing flavor too. I've never had anything like them before.

Bill

• katkin_gw
    15 years ago

Wanda, that's what I was told or read somewhere. I haven't first hand info, since I keep them separated. :o)

• whgille
    15 years ago

Katkin

You are probably right. I had the Aji Dulce next to other peppers that are hot.
    All of them in pots.

Willy

• wanda662
    15 years ago

I have Datil, Lemon Drop and the Cachucha all in pots. The Lemon Drop has lost all its leaves and doesn't look health. The Datil doesn't look real good either but I did get one pepper off of it and the Cachucha is looking good and has about 4 peppers on it. They are just starting to turn so will let you know if the heat transfered to it.

• countrynest
    15 years ago

My cachuchas are always planted in the ground. As you all know, they are perennials. I have some that I've had for over three years.
    Felix

• castorp
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I may try them in the ground some time--though here I doubt I could keep one going so many years in the ground because of freezes.

Just for the clarification: growing a sweet pepper next to a hot pepper will not cause the sweet pepper to suddenly start producing hot peppers. Cross pollination may occur, but it will affect only the peppers grown from seeds produced by cross pollination, not the peppers grown on the current plant. In other words, the proximity of peppers only makes a difference for seed savers. What's more, the aji dulce type peppers are a different species than most commonly grown garden peppers, so cross polination with say, a jalapeno, is unlikely, but I've read that it is possible. See William Woys Weaver's book on Heirloom Vegetables for more info.

Bill

• whgille
    15 years ago

Hi All
    I don't know the science about cross pollination so I cannot give an opinion.
    The only thing I know for sure is that when we had in Phoenix over 100 degree temperatures, hot peppers were hotter that I had to use gloves to handle them. Any other time they were like regular hot peppers.

Now going to another plant, we had planted a rare white hibiscus next to a common red one. After a few months the white one was reddish.

Felix
    How do you eat your Aji Dulce peppers?
    Raw, cooked, in salsas?
    Please share your secrets my friend (lol)

• FRAMA0321_HOTMAIL_COM
    13 years ago

HI
    I WANTED TO KNOW IF ANYBODY KNOWS WHERE I CAN PURCHASE AJI DULCE PLANTS ANYWHERE IN CENTRAL OR SOUTH FLORIDA I BEEN LOOKING FOR A WHILE IM LOOKING FOR AT LEAST 10 OR 20 PLANTS ANY INFO PLEASE LET ME KNOW AT MY EMAIL IS fRAMA0321@HOTMAIL.COM THANKS TAKE CARE

• brownokie_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Hey Oscar,

There is a guy in Florida that sells seeds. Perhaps, he may sell some of his plants too since you are in the same state or know where to buy plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aji Dulce Seeds

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company