Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saldut

Rhipsalis anyone?

saldut
11 years ago

I recently got several Rhipsalis plants and love them, but know very little abt. them...the way they hang down w/weird shapes is interesting..... I Googled and found a few web-sites w/information and they seem to be ideal for an inside house-plant situation....but can't find a GW Forum for them, I know I'm missing something but maybe someone out there can steer me in the right direction...and give me more clues as to what these plants like and don't like, I'd like to propagate and make more of them, etc. so welcome any and all advice....Thanks, sally

Comments (26)

• nova_gw
    11 years ago

Try over at the cacti & succulent forum. I lurk over their from time to time but the seem to know what they are talking about. I have several of these myself and they have spent the summer under the roof of the porch in very dry conditions. Sun only in the late afternoon. I don't know if this is an ideal condition for them but they haven't died on me! They are fairly easy to propagate - just break a piece off, let it dry a little then stick it into a new pot. Again, not sure if it's the right way but it worked for me. One other thing I have noticed about the rhipsalis I have - they all came with tags with the same name - Drunkard's Dream. I know for sure I have one DD, but the other three are completely diffrent plants!

Susan

• saldut
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the guide-lines, I'll go check the cactus forum, guess Rhipsalis is a cactus-type....WOW Walli, that is one gorgeous plant! one of mine has the same type stuff hanging down but is tiny compared to yours! When you propagate, do you wet the potting medium, or plant it dry? I read where you just lay a piece of the plant-stem on the surface but it didn't say if the medium should be wet, or dry...also to use a cactus-medium w/fast draining, add more perlite... anyway I'm trying it..wish me luck...LOL, sally

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

That photo is absolutly stunning. I think I have the same plant but it is no where near that size.

• wallisadi
    11 years ago

the one pictured is my favorite, have a matching one hanging on the other side of the trellis. i just grab a big handful, cut it and shove it in a pot of mg potting mix. i keep it watered. never lost one yet! this one is really cold hardy. have quite a few smaller ones around the garden and have left them out in a freeze.

• wallisadi
    11 years ago

wide variety of rhipsalis.....treat all the same.

• wallisadi
    11 years ago

winter bloomer!

• saldut
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Walli- Thanx for posting the pics, that last one is fantastic, I have one also but it is tiny, I got it at Kathy's Korner Nursery, brouht it home and hung it in the kitchen window and the poor baby dropped all those gorgeous flowers!That makes 3 of the Rhipsalis I have acquired so far and they are still living, I made a few cuttings and they also look promising... they are hanging in my Family Room for now until it warms up more out under the Guava tree and thenthey and all my orchids etc. will be back out there.....sally

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Looks like you've drummed up a great conversation right here. In addition to C&S, there's house plant forum. Not sure if this applies to all, but was told that although my plant is called cactus, it's a jungle cactus, not a desert cactus, so definitely no sand, do not let it become dessicated.

Love these pics! What an interesting group of plants.

Easter cactus. (R. gaertneri, renamed Hatoria) I finally decided on a tree branch (dappled light) as this plant's summer home. It came in about a month ago. Pic of buds is from a few days ago.

• saldut
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That sure is an odd looking plant, purple....thanx for posting it, and you say it's a jungle cactus? sounds same as the Rhipsalis ones, need to be treated differently from regular desert cactus....me, I'm just lucky if I can keep any of them them alive! Have to hand it to Walli, those are some great Rhipsalis...keep the pics coming, thanx, sally

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Oh I don't say, just repeating what I'm told. My neighbor gave it to me this summer, so I know very little about it. The little hairs at the end are soft, not prickly, but maybe that's why they call it Easter "cactus."

It's totally a 1-sided plant, but I like it and can't wait for these buds to open. I counted 15 so far. The aerial roots are cool too. Erf, the pot is so noticeably dirty in this shot.

• wallisadi
    11 years ago

• saldut
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanx for the great pics! what is the name of that second one, in the white pot? I think I have it...it's hard to tell the difference between them they all look so similar, like a Christmas Cactus, with the long serrated leaves..I have several C C they are blooming now.....sally

• wallisadi
    11 years ago

not sure on that one, we got a tiny piece given to us last spring. local orchid grower had a huge one he was going to use to propagate, gave it to us. have to wait and see!

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

See link below for a nice website on Schlumbergera (Christmas and Thanksgiving cacti) and Rhipsalidopsis (Easter cactus).

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Holiday Cacti (Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter)

• saldut
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanx for posting that link Love-the-yard, that is very interesting and informative w/lots of facts abt. the various C Cs, I wish they had more actual photos of the whole plant but the drawings are excellent, and point out the differences of the leaves, that some have points and some are rounded, etc....all this I did not know...some Rhipsalis look so similar it is hard to tell what they are....thanks, sally

• wallisadi
    11 years ago

blooms, plant worth keeping. bees all over it!

• saldut
    Original Author
    11 years ago

WOW!! there you go again Walli, am I ever green w/envy over your Rhipsalis, you have a special touch! I still have my little 3 plants they are still alive and I have succeeded in getting a few cuttings to grow...so guess all hope is not lost......Thanks, sally

• Stacyinportland
    10 years ago

Hi everyone
    I am new to the site today. A few months ago I came across a funky plant and fell in love. Since then I have found it to be a rhipsalis and last week I found an odd ball Epi.
    In searching for info I came across all of you and glad as there isn't a lot of info out there. Walli, the pictures... Wow.
    I am in portland OR and selection of different types is slim to none. If anyone knows of a mail order site with good selection I would love the info.

• Stacyinportland
    10 years ago

Hi everyone
    I am new to the site today. A few months ago I came across a funky plant and fell in love. Since then I have found it to be a rhipsalis and last week I found an odd ball Epi.
    In searching for info I came across all of you and glad as there isn't a lot of info out there. Walli, the pictures... Wow.
    I am in portland OR and selection of different types is slim to none. If anyone knows of a mail order site with good selection I would love the info.

• Stacyinportland
    10 years ago

Rhipsalis ? I think it is

• Stacyinportland
    10 years ago

Favorites

• Stacyinportland
    10 years ago

My first purchase.

• wallisadi
    10 years ago

E-mail me, have a bunch of varieties....

• wallisadi
    10 years ago

E-mail me, have a bunch of varieties....

• Lincoln Erickson
    5 years ago

Rhipsalis are epiphytic jungle cactus. The grow on other trees in Central and South America. I find that mine like to have very well drained soil and be watered all the time. They can take a lot of humidity as long as the air is flowing. They don't like to dry out completely.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?