Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leekle2mane

Minnie Royal Cherries

I was about to ask if anyone had any luck with Cherry Trees in Central Florida, but I found an old article saying that it pretty much wasn't going to happen because we don't get enough 'chill hours'. In the thread, someone provided a link to a nursery that had plum/cherry hybrids that might work in lieu of a true cherry tree. So I went to the site and found there is a 'new' cultivar of Cherry Trees called Minnie Royal that only needs 200-300 chill hours to produce fruit. Does anyone have any experience with these trees? Anyone? Anyone at all? Hello? Is this thing on? Anyone? Bueller?

Comments (24)

• thonotorose
    11 years ago

I nominate you to be the crash test dummie for this endeavor.

It's gotta be someone!

;-))

Veronica

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

The problem isn't the chill it is our hot humid summers. Every disease you can imagine will zero in on the cherry trees.

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Then sounds like my wife is SOoL for cherries. True cherries. Okay... so what about apples? It seems she wants every northern type of fruit tree, she just doesn't want to endure the winters they need to thrive.

• TampaBull
    11 years ago

Hi.

I ordered a dwarf Minnie Royal and a dwarf Royal Lee cherry tree (listed as its cross pollinator.)

They are on Z-Dwarf root stock so they will grow to about 8 ft.
    I plan on putting then in containers, so I can shelter them if it gets too hot.

Both varieties are listed as 200 - 300 chill hours.

Unfortunately they won't ship until January.
    But fingers crossed!

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

There are Florida apples you can grow. If you want to try the cherries go for it, don't let me dissuade you. Just know you will have to be vigilant in your spraying. Lou has some cherries and they are growing though so far no fruit.

• jason83
    11 years ago

You've probably got sufficient chill hours, but cracking/splitting of the fruit can be a problem, as well as the blights and diseases as was already mentioned. Can't hurt to try it though, perhaps you'll have some success. The apples you can plant here are Anna, Dorsett Golden and Ein Sheimer (sp?). I've got the DG and Anna and they looked miserable all summer. Not very leafy for a tree, but they're "alive." Shade during the brightest/hottest times of the year will be a must.

On the bright side, there's a lot of other kinds of fruits and nuts you can grow. Mulberries do well, as do pomegranates, at least where I live (we're very hot and dry, with barren, sandy-type soil), fuyu persimmon, jujube, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries..there's plenty more I'm sure, but if you have your heart set on those cherries, I say go for it. :)

• ocalagirls
    11 years ago

If you're in Lady Lake you probably have the same problem that I have. Low chill "Northern fruit" is hard to grow because of the heat and diseases, and the tropicals can't handle our winters. What to do? Even blueberries can be difficult because the low chill varieties can be damaged by a late frost and the other varieties may not get enough chill during some years, so I have some of each planted. I have a pomegranate that produces, of course citrus and I'm trying apples. The trees look great, I planted them in August. We'll see how they're doing next August.

• jason83
    11 years ago

I'm thrilled to hear of this! That's enough to convince me to go ahead and get a pair for myself. Which nursery did you acquire them from?

I think the fruiting will vary from year to year just like our climate conditions do. But it's nice to hear that the trees didn't suffer at all, because this past summer was quite a wicked one. Tons of insects and diseases were early and rampant this year, and it was a tough growing season for a lot of things. If the cherries endured all of that, then I can't imagine them not doing well for many years to come.

I look forward to hearing about your first fruits! Think you'll get some next spring?

• L_in_FL
    11 years ago

I got them from Bay Laurel Nursery in California. I've included a link to their cherry page.

The trees I got from them - the two cherries, plus a peach and a pear - were extremely healthy. I would not hesitate to order from them again. However, they are not cheap, and they have a steep minimum shipping charge. However, if you buy at least three trees, the shipping charge per tree is more reasonable.

It's my understanding that cherries bear fruit on spurs. I just went out and looked. I think there are two spurs on the Minnie Royal, and maybe one on the Royal Lee. I've never seen cherry trees up close before getting mine; I just looked for stubby little branches like the fruiting spurs on my apple trees. So...maybe a couple? I am going to try not to get my hopes up yet. Even if they both make a few flowers, pollination isn't a sure thing. Even if they get pollinated, with only a few fruit the odds of any of them making it to maturity aren't that good. But I will be careful not to prune off those possible spurs!

These cherry trees are popular, and they sold out early last year. If you're serious, I'd order ASAP. They ship to Florida in January, and they won't charge your credit card until they ship.

If you get some, maybe we can compare notes later on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bay Laurel Nursery - Cherry Trees

• jason83
    11 years ago

I got four cherry trees coming in the next few days - Royal Lee, Minnie Royal, Stella and Lapins. All of them will receive adequate chill hours based on all the research I've done. I got them from Grow Organic.

This very well may be the one time I'm fortunate that my FL climate differs from the rest of FL.. We are very hot, high and dry, and don't receive the typical rains that even up the street a mile would get.

Since I'm working with 99% pure sand for soil, I'll be incorporating half rotted wood/logs and branches in the bottoms of my planting holes, and will have them ready for these bare root trees that are arriving and will certainly report on how they fare over time :)

I have a spot available that gets sun all day, from beginning to end, and wonder if that wouldn't be too hot... perhaps someone could chime in and advise if its best to give them some afternoon shade?

Thanks L_in_FL for encouraging me to grow the cantaloupes needed to take on this endeavor a few months back! :)

• TampaBull
    11 years ago

I have 2 cherry trees, Royal Lee, Minnie Royal, (both dwarfs,) on route from Bay Laurel.
    ..Plus 2 low chill dwarf pears, Hood and Flordahome.

Just received notice on Tuesday that they should arrive Friday.

I also recently purchased a Rio Grande Cherry. I know it's not really a traditional cherry. But does anyone have any experience with these?

• L_in_FL
    11 years ago

By the way, the Minnie Royal and Royal Lee both have pretty red "fall" foliage.

Jason, mine get all day full sun and seem happy in it. I do have them set up on drip irrigation (run when needed) and mulched, so they have never experienced water stress. I don't know if the mulch cooling the roots helps, but I figured it wouldn't hurt. I do get the rains here, but I am slightly above my neighbors, so I have drainage. They are also planted about 6" above the surrounding yard, in open-bottomed raised beds. So they never have boggy roots or weed competition, either. (Can you tell I was paranoid about giving these trees the best possible chance for success?)

I will be interested in hearing how the Stella and Lapins fare for you. I was tempted by those trees as well. Though after last year's mild winter and with the unseasonable warmth right now I am kind of glad I only got the Minnie Royal and Royal Lee. Unless the weather turns cold next week and stays that way 'til February, we aren't going to get anywhere near our usual chill hours here.

• jason83
    11 years ago

I received my order of fruit trees from Groworganic today via FedEx. I've got them soaking in water and will plant them tomorrow. I'm very happy with the size of the cherries; the trunk caliper size is very nice. :)

Royal Lee is on the left; Minnie Royal on the right. The two in the back (kind of hard to see) are the Stella and Lapins, which I'm eager to give a try right alongside the new low-chill hybrids.

All four are semi dwarf on Colt rootstock.

• L_in_FL
    11 years ago

Good looking trees! I bet you're excited to get them in the ground. :-)

• jason83
    11 years ago

Got them planted today. I gave them extra special treatment and dug the holes much wider than average for planting bare root trees. :)

• redfoot
    10 years ago

Anyone have any luck getting cherries in Florida? Thinking of ordering a Minnie Royal and a Royal Lee for NW Florida.

• L_in_FL
    10 years ago

My Minnie Royal and Royal Lee trees (planted January 2012) are big and healthy, but have not bloomed yet. They do not seem to believe that they are on the extra-dwarfing rootstock, since I have to prune them to keep them under 10'. Minnie Royal is more vigorous than Royal Lee for me.

It looks like we will be getting plenty of chill hours this year. So *hopefully* my trees will bloom this spring and I can report on fruit this summer.

• thonotorose
    9 years ago

Wondering if anyone has any news about their cherries? Just read an interesting blog about them in the southwest. The blogger says they are bred for zone 10A. Can that be possible???
    http://www.sweetlifegarden.com/2012/06/minnie-royal-and-royal-lee-story-of-our.html

• TampaBull
    9 years ago

Thornotorose:
    Ironically the first time I've been at this site in a long time was the day you posted this. I didn't reply until now since I had to redo my login since I haven't been here since before this Houzz redo (and pure procrastination.)

That same day I checked my trees, and the 2 cherry trees just started to bud break (I could just see tiny bits of green on some of the tips). Since then they have started to leaf out a good amount. I'll try to post pictures soon.

• thonotorose
    9 years ago

Any blooms, Tampa Bull? ( I know all about that procrastination thing...:)

• nighthawk0911
    7 years ago

Cherries

Minnie Royal
    Southwestern fruit gardeners can finally celebrate the introductions of two new very-low-chill sweet cherries. Minnie Royal and its companion Royal Lee have proven themselves to be low chill adaptable. In fact, they may not require any chill at all. Minnie Royal is a medium to large size red cherry with a firm texture and superior flavor. Fruit begins to ripen in early May and holds well on the tree into June. The tree is very productive and sets heavy crops in southern California. We estimate the chill requirement at 200 to 300 hours, but some have produced with less than 100 hours. A Zaiger introduction, pollenized by Royal Lee.

Royal Lee
    Pollenizing companion to Minnie Royal, the Royal Lee ripens about one week later and holds well on the tree until mid-June. Royal Lee is a medium sized red-to-dark-red sweet cherry with a very firm, crunchy texture. Flavor is rated as excellent. As with Minnie Royal, the estimated chill requirement is 200 to 300 hours, but my Royal Lee tree has proven fruitful with even less. Zaiger introduction, pollenized by Minnie Royal.

• nighthawk0911
    7 years ago

So has anybody gotten these cherry trees to bear in Florida yet?

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I haven't and probably won't. My yard filled up too much and I no longer have room to try these. When we move, we are thinking about heading a little further south and closer to the coast, so we will have even fewer chill hours. Instead I will be jumping feet first into the pool of exotic subtropic fruits.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!