Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone growing tea (Camellia sinensis )?

Posted by m5allen none (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 28, 12 at 18:03

From what I have read, it seems that tea will grow here in FL. I love green tea and was thinking about growing it myself.

Does anyone grow it? Any tips?

I have called a few local nurseries and can't seem to find a place to buy it in the Tampa Bay area.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone growing tea (Camellia sinensis )?

• Posted by jason83 Zone 8b/9a (North Fl (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 0:05

I've been trying to find a source for it for a while. Many other types of Camellia seem to do quite well here in North Florida among other parts, so I see no reason why sinensis wouldn't do just fine. You can get seeds on eBay for very little money. There's someone making a fortune selling little seedlings of the plant, of which I'm sure they started from seed, so there's hope that it's certainly achievable for cheap :)

o

Territorial Seed co. sells plants, but it looks like they're out of stock right now.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Territorial Seed

o

Camellia Forest Nursery sells several varieties of tea. They range in price from 12 to 25 dollars.

o

Interesting fact about green tea versus black. The green tea leaves are first steamed to destroy enzymes in the leaves, so that they stay green rather than ferment and turn brown or black. It's just like blanching green beans before freezing. I guess you can just add boiling water to the fresh leaves, but this is not the same as traditional green tea which is steamed and then dried under controlled conditions.

o

I just bought 5 Camellia sinensis seeds on eBay for $3.00 plus $1.79 Shipping from a person in Jax. Thanks for making me aware that it grows well here in Florida.

Lou

o

I have plenty of one gallon tea plants in stock at a reasonable price. I am in Riverview,Fl

o
tea (Camellia sinensis )

I have plenty of one gallon tea plants at a reasonable price; I am in Riverview, Fl

o

Why would they want to kill the enzymes?

o

The enzymes in the tea leaves promote oxidation of the leaves after they are picked from the tea plant. Just as dying tree leaves turn from green to gold, red and brown in the Fall, so wilting tea leaves start to go brown and black under warm humid conditions. This is a form of natural oxidative decay, a bit like apple flesh turning brown after it is cut. Therefore the enzymes have to be knocked out by steam in order to stop this "fermentation" and retain the green color of the leaves as they are dried. This is also done to things like green beans by blanching before freezing...otherwise the enzymes can cause the beans to turn black and leathery.
This fermentation is allowed to occur naturally when black tea is made, because the leaves are not steamed and the enzymes are intact. The fermentation process increases the body, astringency and complexity of the flavor but also removes some of the anti-oxidant components of the tea.

o

In Fall 2011 my husband and I went to Charleston, SC. One of the things we did there was to go out to the Charleston Tea Plantation. It's the only tea plantation in the country. The tour was great! At the processing plant they went into great detail on how tea is dried and the processes it goes through to create the final product. Very interesting and a lot more complicated than I ever thought. Can you do this at home? Not really sure but you might google the process.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here