Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annafl_gw

sharing my garden

annafl
12 years ago

It's been a while since I've shared my garden (other than my veggies). Although it's been better, and it's been worse, I figure it's about to get worse for a long while, so I took some photos on this beautiful day (should've done it earlier before the sun spoiled the photos), as a record for me, and to share with you. Hope you enjoy.

I love the colors in this photo. This area has just gone into almost complete shade (the sun has almost fallen behind tall trees as it is lower in the sky), and the colors are so vivid. This is what I love about having foliage.

Alright, this is almost all green, and foliage again, but several different shapes and shades of green.

My favorite area to sit in the garden and I do use it pretty often. I love this angle of the area under the big oak.

This is part of the path in the back and I wanted to show the dombeya seminole in full bloom right now although it is in shade 2/3 of the day. The bees go crazy for it and I love it too!

The pond has looked better and it has looked worse. Wrong time of day to take pictures of it, but here it is. The lilies are still blooming their hearts out although they are in the shrinking fall/winter mode.

The main part of the yard. The foreground is the area I lasagned just a couple of years ago.

Lastly, an area in the other back corner which I love. Again, it's almost all foliage, but the different textures make me interested.

Thanks for letting me share. Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I have so very much to be thankful for.

Anna

Comments (54)

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Anna, how spectacular! So tropical! Yes, please post pics more often.

• annafl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, I was so pleased to see the nice responses! Thank-you. Of course, you know I only showed you the stuff that looks good. The parts that are already in the decline mode or just ho hum, I artfully omitted.

Love the yard you are too nice. I got the begonia nelumbiifolia about five years ago at Crowley's, east of Sarasota. Don't know if I've seen it anywhere else. I try to divide it every couple of years and you can see it is also in the next to last picture. It is an easy plant as long as the drainage is good. I am borderline 9b/10a and it has not balked in the winters. Not even the last two. I think it may be worth a try for you. If you like, I can see if I can find one that I can take a piece off of. I don't know how it would do for a couple of days in the mail though. In the fourth photo, the bush with the pink clusters is dombeya seminole. It does partially defoliate here in the winter. The others are the tall pentas. I have tall pink pentas everywhere in my garden. One of my very favorite plants and so loved by bees, butterflies and hummers. I spend all year trying to propagate them. They do overwinter here and those you see are in their fourth year in that spot.

Thanks, Marcia. This month makes 6 years we've been gardening here. We were fortunate to have acquired the large oaks for shade. Other than that and a few other trees, we've planted everything else and put the pond in 5 years ago. You know, too much grass can be remedied with a good lasagna! I think you are in Northport? If you're ever my way, please visit.

Hi Wallisadi. That silk floss tree came home in my husband's prius 5 years ago. It was a skinny stick about three feet tall. I love it too. Thanks!

Amberroses and Christine, thank-you. It is never exactly the way I like it, but that's the fun of it.

Anna

• pabrocb
    12 years ago

Oh Anna, we are not worthy! Every photo show such incredible
    beauty. And I love the pop of orange from the chairs!

Carol B. Sarasota

• Justine66
    12 years ago

Anna,
    Not to sound stupid, which I probably will, but what do you mean by "lasagna"? In my opinion, I have way too much grass/weeds in my yard and would love to turn it into such a beautiful paradise as you have done with yours.
    Warmly,
    Justine

• hester_2009
    12 years ago

Anna,
    As always, just wonderful to see your pics. It all looks beautiful despite your protestations! Your hard work is evident. Magical....
    Hester

• whgille
    12 years ago

Anna - Your garden is so beautiful! What can I say that it has not said already. It is a beautiful example of all the love and care that you put in your slice of paradise. I enjoy your wonderful posts and always learn something new. Thanks.

Silvia

• marcia_m
    12 years ago

Anna, I'd really enjoy visiting with you and your garden. I especially love your big, leafy plants. You have done a beautiful job in 6 years. Yes, I'm in North Port. Perhaps after Thanksgiving and before the winter holidays. Or maybe in the new year. The past 2 years the winters have been bad for my plants. We're not near any water to moderate the temps :(
    Marcia

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    12 years ago

Wow! It's just stunning - what a beautiful place!

• christit
    12 years ago

Gosh I can't think of an adjective that would adequately describe your garden. Stunning, breathtaking, amazing, awesome they all fall short.
    Christi

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

I love all of the texture that you've created with your foliage! So beautiful! What is the plant to the right of the begonia nelumbiifoli in the second picture? The one shaped like a shuttlecock?

• sharbear50
    12 years ago

I haven't been here in a long while and your spectacular garden is a wonderful sight to come back to. Really, it is beautiful Anna.

How do you plant lilies in a pond? They are very pretty.
    Sharon

• annafl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, I am overwhelmed. You need to know it looks better in the photos than when you're walking around and seeing the bad spots! Thanks so much, though. It validated all my hard work.

Carol B.- I love my orange chairs too. I have some of the same inside the house. I am partial to orange and you see that interspersed in my garden too! You, Hester and I should visit each others' gardens- we are so close

Justine, I just love to tell people about lasagna gardening! It is a no-till gardening method that works beautifully. It is based on layers of materials, and that's why they call it lasagna gardening. I did a very long post on it with pictures a few years back, but did not see it in the archives. It's titled something like "Less is more". I did find a link of Melissa's (gardencpa) lasagna early in the year and that is included below. Basically, you get a hose out and you mark the border of grass you want to get rid of. You put cardboard down in that shape- right on top of the grass (don't dig it, kill it or spray anything on it). Overlap the cardboard pieces by about 6 inches or so. Then you pile whatever organic material you have on top. If I make a lasagna in Feb-April, it is sure to have several inches of the neighbors' oak leaves on it, perhaps some grass clippings, coffee grounds, soft, non-diseased cuttings from my yard, and probably a layer of chopped up oak mulch on top. That would be a really good one. The reality is that frequently I don't have as much material as I need, so I just put the cardboard down and pile the wood chips on top. Several months later I might have loads of bags of oak leaves and I pile those on, or coffee grounds, etc. It all decomposes in place and attracts earthworms. If you didn't disturb the soil it will be almost weed-free. It's a great method and most of my garden is made like that. This is just one picture of an area of my yard with a lasagna taking place:

Looks like I just had oak mulch and coffee grounds on top of the cardboard at that time. Try it, I think you'll like it.

Silvia and Hester, thank-you. Hester, your beautiful yard puts mine to shame.

Marcia, email me when you'll be in the area. I wouldn't wait until the first real cold spell comes. Things are declining already.

Carolbcoastal and Christit, you are too nice.

Sunworshipper, that plant is a bird's nest anthurium. It is carefree and has tolerated the last two winters without covering it! I love that plant. I try to put different shaped leaves next to each other for interest. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Thanks, Sharbear. The lilies are planted in pots submerged in the pond. They get repotted in February each year and it is a huge, awful job that takes a whole day, but they give flowers almost every day of the year so they are worth it. I got the original one from Garyfl, who still frequents the forum, but not as often.

Well, you have all made me want to go out and work in the garden! I feel like I got a big pat on the back. Thank-you!!!

Anna

Here is a link that might be useful: Melissa's lasagna

• tomncath
    12 years ago

Anna,

I can't improve on anything anyone has said so I guess I'll have to add a couple of visual statements....

Tom

• gatormomx2
    12 years ago

You should see Melissa's garden today.
    It would knock yours socks off!
    The key to a truly spectacular garden up here is the mushroom compost.
    Plants go crazy for it.
    I agree with you Anna.
    Love me some lasagna gardening!
    The thicker the organic matter the better.
    You do have a stunning landscape
    and quite the artistic talent.
    Very impressive!

• Justine66
    12 years ago

Thanks for the wonderful idea! I can't wait to get started getting rid of this grassy weed mess!
    Justine

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

The bird's nest anthurium is really neat! How cold did it get where you are last winter? Looks like you are farther south than me. I'm in the Orlando area. My low was about 23. I'm wondering if one would survive where I am?

Angela

• annafl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tom, your garden is a triple ten in my book. Thanks.

Gatormom, tell Melissa we'd love to see her garden! I miss her pictures and we need more ornamental postings. I am always inspired by her garden. Please!!! I would love to get some mushroom compost, but I don't know how in my area. If anyone knows, please divulge. Gatormom, I've never seen your garden. Won't you post pictures?

Justine, once you start lasagna gardening, you'll never stop. It is a lot easier than tilling, and spares you a lot of weeds if you don't disturb the soil. There is a lot of info out there on lasagna gardening and there is no wrong way of doing it. You will become a scavenger of organic material. I am always on the lookout, and almost nothing gets wasted around here.

Angela, it got down to 27-28 the last two winters. I don't know if it would make it down to 23. Does Leu gardens have them outside? You could call and ask. Also, if they do, they might sell them there. All I have to offer you is a tiny, tiny one that would take a couple of years of nurturing to get to a decent size. Let me know if you want it.

Anna

• gardengimp
    12 years ago

Anna, I am so glad you posted a recent tour of your garden. I always find myself coming back to look over your photos again and again. So many good feelings and good ideas.

And I agree, please tell Melissa we would love a photo tour of her garden!

Justine, Anna is right about the sparing of weeds. I'm a big, big cover it up with newspaper and leafs/needles fan. My neighbor gets down on his knees every few weeks and digs tons of weeds (that he puts out for pickup). You can literally see a line where our gardens meet. He asked me one day 'I never see you pulling weeds, how come you don't have weeds?' He gives me his newspaper, so he knows what I do. And he has watched me a few times. /shrug

~dianne

• cammunizm
    12 years ago

So you are the one taking all of the spent grounds from Starbucks!!! aha Just kidding.

Looks amazing though. I've started the Lasagna thing as well. :)

• garyfla_gw
    12 years ago

Anna
    had to throw in my two cents lol Looks fantastic!!
    only thing I've been working on is the orchids and strawberries lol. Actually had two varieties of SB make it through summer but transplanted WAY too early so killed all but three plants. They are doing well in spite of the heat but I can see already I'm NOT going to corner the SB market. Oh well a "strawberry jar " is a very attractive planting.
    Anyway always enjoy looking at your pix!!! gary

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

Anna, great idea to call Leu Gardens & ask if they are growing anthurium. Every time I go there, I learn about a couple more types of plants - they are such a great resource. I would love the small start you offered and would be happy to baby it along and watch it grow. I can put it in a pot and move it around to find a spot it likes. Temps of 27-28 are much more normal as lows in my area. It sounds like I would only need to protect it during abnormally cold winters like the last one. It looks like you don't have email turned on. Please send me an email so we can arrange postage or a trade. I'm not sure I have anything you don't already have, but I'd be happy to pay postage=)

• katkin_gw
    12 years ago

Anna, your garden looks lovely as always. I have to come back and look at it several times. :o)

• gardencpa
    12 years ago

This is too funny! So I haven't been on GW in a while and decide to visit. I see Anna is sharing her garden and of course have to look. Anna is my lasagna mentor and has a lovely yard and takes great pictures. So just as I start Tim comes up behind me and here is how the conversation goes.

T: Whose garden is that?
    M: Anna's. My garden will look like that when it grows up and retires to S. Florida.
    T: It's gorgeous. Haven't I heard her name before?
    M: Of course. She taught me all about lasagna gardening.
    T: Lasagna?
    M: OK, cardboard gardening.
    T: Aha. We have plenty of that.

So meanwhile, I am scrolling down and what do I see but my name and a link to our last project. I had to laugh. And I was very rewarded to see that series of pictures. That front bed has come a long way since January. And I did take Ricky's advice and dig a trench along the front and fill it with mulch. And then I get to Mary's (gatormom) post and had to laugh. You all have to realize that Mary is my plant pusher, disguised as a mild-mannered master gardener. I don't think she has ever shown up here without a plant in hand or has let me leave her place empty handed either.

Anna, I will have you know that I have passed on the cardboard gardening advice to anyone who will listen. My sister just started it too and she has hardly ever listened to me her whole life! :o)

I will get out tomorrow and take a few pictures and see what I can find from summer, when it really looked magnificent. Like you said Anna, it is starting to decline and I recently moved a few things to better places. I also have a puppy who is almost a year old and the damage she causes can be impressive.

Melissa

• Randy Ritchie
    12 years ago

Breathtaking! Your garden is so inspiring to me, with all the bare areas. I shall have to start laying cardboard and whatever organic matter I can provide as well. If cardboard is the most plentiful, do you put more than a single layer or is a single layer the best way to do it? I want to start some areas (I have an entire yard needing help!)

Again, please post photos more frequently!

Randy

• garyfla_gw
    12 years ago

Anna
    Meant to ask in my previous post if you still have the snowflake tree (Trevesia palmata)? I got some seeds a variagated form in 03 Lost the last one last year From squirrels !!! lol gary

• annafl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry, I've been busy with family the last couple of days.

Cammunizm, I did use to pick up grounds almost daily at starbucks (as evidenced by the silver bags), but since then I've established a relationship with my local coffee store (small business) and I get large bags of coffee every time I want. I buy lots of coffee and other goods they have in exchange. We've become friends.

Hey thanks, Gary! I've never been able to grow s'berries very well, so keep us posted if you find the secret. I miss your posts. Wished you posted more frequently. Thanks for the hello! By the way, I killed my trevesia palmata ages ago. Love that plant, but don't know if I'll try again. Requires too much worrying.

Sun worshiper, I will dig it up and put it in a little pot. Give me a few days to make sure it will make it. I will do it before the cool snap comes this weekend. If it looks good, I will email you for your address. Let us know what they say about it at Leu gardens.

Katkin, thanks. I wish you would post photos of your lovely garden.

Ha ha ha, Melissa! Good timing. I can't wait to see your garden update! You know, I've been pushing lasagna gardening since I experienced how well it works, but it is a well-known technique around for many years before I knew about it. I'm always pushing it too. Great for recycling and for plants, earthworms, beneficial bugs, water conservation, as you well know.

Randy, this is a great time of year to start your lasagna. Leaves will be available in a couple of months to supplement it. I think one layer of cardboard is just fine. Two might be too much of a barrier for water? Maybe temporarily? Not sure. Just keep expanding wider!

Thanks for posting everyone.

Anna

• garyfla_gw
    12 years ago

Anna
    Sorry to hear that about the snowflake tree!! They are sooo difficult to find for some reason. I actually had two grown from seed that wre finally beginning to take off
    when the squirrels knocked the pots off into the pool lol
    Growing tip. They won't toplerate being underwater especially for two days!! lol
    I haven't been posting or gardening much due to my illness. Though the cyberknife treatment completely removed the main tumor I have 3 new nodules in the right lung and tested positive for lymphatic cancer. Just when I was beginning to feel really good they want me to undergo chemotherepy!! I don't feel that I want to do that and the only alternative is a drug treatment which has less than a 10 percent success rate. But it has all kinds of side effects also which I was hoping to avoid.
    Really tough decision!!! Have been downsizing my plants and especially my animals. Haven't been able to part with 3 birds and my fish tanks but I am down to two!!
    I am still posting and read the web everyday but find the temptation to add rather than subtract hard to resist!!!lol gary

• annafl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, Gary, so sorry to hear about your illness. You had been fine for so long that I thought everything was well. The right answer about treatment will come to you, I'm sure. In the meantime, I will be rooting for you and praying for you. Your beautiful lilies remind me of you daily and bring a lot of joy to me and all those who I've shared them with. I've missed your posts, but will know that you are out there lurking and will post when so inclined.

• gardencpa
    12 years ago

Gary - I'm sorry to hear that too. I hope all turns out well. You seem to be a happy guy (lol!) and I hope that helps to pull you through.

Here are a few pictures. Some are from Thanksgiving day and some are a few months ago. I didn't seem to take many during the summer when things looked really good. That is my busy time at work and I really just walk around and enjoy it at the end of the day.

Happy Holidays everyone.

Melissa

• garyfla_gw
    12 years ago

Hi
    thanks everyone for the good wishes. I started a post on the 'conversation" under "medical costs" when this first started. Thought i could use it to keep others informed but also to track of various treatments on my long painful journey to heaven lol
    Beautiful pix!!! Always fun to see what others are doing!!! gary

• katkin_gw
    12 years ago

Anna, some day I'll get my hubby to teach to use the camera, if I ever get my hands out of the dirt. :o)

Gary, I am so sorry for your health issues, I'll pray for your recovery. I loved seeing your posts. :o)

• annafl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Melissa!

Your lasagna is holding up beautifully. That russelia sarmentosa is out of this world!!! The lion's mane (I'm having a senior moment and don't remember if that's what it's called) is really lovely too. That area in the front with the ruellia, firebush and porterweed is gorgeous and my favorite. What is the big bush/small tree in your new lasagna area that we see in the distance? Your beautiful blue basil makes me miss mine. It perished in a low-lying area during a prolonged rain storm. Your place looks so peaceful. I would love to have more acreage, but can barely take care of what I have. Thank-you for showing us your lovely paradise. It was a real treat with my morning coffee!

Anna

• klflorida
    12 years ago

What beautiful garden photos. Everything is so pleasant. Thank you for sharing.

• pabrocb
    12 years ago

Anna, I'd love to see your garden, and Hester's, in person. I'd love to learn more about Florida plantings, and I'm stuck on some layout issues.

I'm in Southgate and willing to come
    any time!

Carol B.
    pabrocb@yahoo.com

• gardencpa
    12 years ago

Hi guys. Thanks for the compliments. That big bush is a vitex that gatormom gave me that was just a three-foot tall single stick in January. It had amazing growth this year. I love the purple flowers. And the russelia likes it here and this is its prime time for blooming. The African blue basil is one my favorite plants. It freezes and dies every winter and I have to replace it though. This gigantic bush was a tiny cutting that I got from Seminole Springs nursery in May. It does not like cold or wet feet. The bees love it and I brush my hand through it for the smell every time I walk through the yard.

And I should add that lasagna gardening isn't just for flower beds. The areas that were all viney and overgrown I have cardboarded and mulched and left. Then the leaves fall and I add more and it just makes it look richer. Like this:

and while I love my flowers, there is no way I could garden this size property so the rest is more like this (you can see where there is more viney stuff to work on):

Take care everyone.

Melissa

• tomncath
    12 years ago

Looking great Melissa, what's that orange stuff in the 4th picture? I purchased some Lion's Ear seeds but they look nothing like that and what you have is what I thought I was getting :-(

Anna, I'm with Carol, I'd love to see your place in person and Hester's too...invites?

Gary, I'm sad to hear you're going through this again. I'll be sending you good Karma, you will remain in my thoughts daily.

Tom

• gardencpa
    12 years ago

Hi Tom. It's called both lion's ear and lion's tail and that is convenient because I can only ever remember the 'lion' part. Leonotus leonurus is what Floridata has as its Latin name. I got it as a full grown bush from Mary so I don't know about growing it from seed.

• amberroses
    12 years ago

I'm sorry Gary for your health problems. I'll remember you in my prayers tonight. Downsizing is good because you have to put yourself first, but you're right to keep a few of your pets and plants. You need good things around you.

• annafl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Melissa, you are so lucky to have so much land to play with... and just for the views of nature! Great trees, too. I thought that may be a vitex. It has such a pretty habit. Please show it next spring when it blooms. I kind of had my eye out for a blue basil this year, but didn't see any. Will look again next spring. That is amazing that the cardboard worked well for your aggressive vines. That area looks nice and very tame now!

Hi Tom, I know Hester was sweet enough to offer her place for a swap earlier in the year and somehow the swaps ended up somewhere else. Jane is coming over Friday (I think), and Carol probably next week. I would love to show you my dwindling garden Friday afternoon or maybe later on next week. Otherwise I prefer next spring when things are looking like they're on the upswing rather than tired, gasping and on the downswing! With the sun being low, much of my garden (behind large trees) has been in shade for a while now. Let me know. I love visitors!

Anna

• hester_2009
    12 years ago

I've been offline for a bit and missed these pics, Melissa - you sure have a great looking place.
    Gary - my thoughts are with you.
    Tom - you are welcome anytime! Carol is also coming here next Thursday morning along with going to Anna's at some point.
    Yep, I did offer to hold a swap but I don't think there are enough of us in this area but maybe next spring it would work.
    In the meantime, I'll accept visitors anytime (even though I'm in the midst of ripping some of mistakes out!)
    Hester

• marcia_m
    12 years ago

I would love to attend a Sarasota area swap and visit some of your beautiful gardens in the spring. We'll be here until early May.
    Marcia

• Randy Ritchie
    12 years ago

Thanks for the photos, folks. Got my weekend armchair garden fix. Now to go outside and get the real garden fix firsthand, lol.

Randy

• annafl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marcia, in any case, I would love to have you visit in the spring. Please email me before you leave to arrange a visit.

Randy, it was a great day to garden today. Hope you got your fix and had fun.

Anna

• johnjsr
    12 years ago

Ana, I'm happy to see that your gardens have recovered from the cold winters we have the last three years. I've kept the Heliconias you sent me alive, but haven't had a bloom yet. Keep posing photos, they are an inspiration for me after losing my own gardens to the cold.
    john

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

Anna, still enthralled with all of your photos. Poring over each one. To me, it is like visiting an art gallery in Europe. Just fantastic. Thank you for your offer of begonia nelumbiifolia. I am not sure it would survive and don't want to put you to all of that trouble either. Instead, just post a few more photos when you have time. Please?! :)

Carol

• annafl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh John, so sorry to hear the heliconias didn't fare well. I had trouble with some of mine as well. I hope we'll have a warmer winter this year and they will get strong again. We are sort of borderline for them here, so I imagine they would really struggle there. So sorry.

Carol, thanks for the compliments. It is no trouble, but it is a bad time of year to try to split a plant. Maybe next spring when there is new growth. It is a busy time of year, and I really don't have a lot more to show, but I will look around and see if I have anything worth showing. Thanks!

Anna

• marcia_m
    12 years ago

Thank you, Anna, I'd love to visit. I'll email you in the new year to arrange a visit. I have my plate full with Christmas doings now and we'll be going back to PA soon for 3 or 4 weeks but back in mid-January.
    Marcia

• kikistreehouse
    12 years ago

Beautifull!!! In your 6th picture you have a burgandy bush with tiny white clusters. What is that name , I have them all over here.I just love all your yard.. Thank you...Jamie

• annafl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Jamie! That is purple knight alternanthera. I love it for the foliage more than the little white bloom balls. It is a high maintenance plant in that it will grow all over everything and needs frequent nipping, but it is worth it to me because of the dark foliage. Are you in zone 9a or b? Just wanting to gauge the cold hardiness. Mine almost died back the last two winters, but comes back with a vengeance in spring.

Anna

• kikistreehouse
    12 years ago

Thank you Anna. Iam not sure Iam in Ft.Myers.I have it growing everywhere. I love the color.My grandkids call it the popcorn plant.LOL I lost alot of plants 2 years ago. I was in the hospital for awhile , So now Iam trying to get it back, with some color. Thank you. My mothers neighbor gave me some green leave plants the other day, Not sure what it is thou. Maybe ginger,or ground orchids, Not sure , no bloom yet. They didnt know either never seen it bloom. LOL Thank you Anna.