Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amberroses

Tomato Harvest Problems...Sigh

amberroses
12 years ago

This tomato season has been disappointing. I've lost as many fruit as I've harvested. I'm so mad. What is it now Amber you ask?

Worms of various species?...no

Whiteflies?....no

Nematodes?...no

Fungus?...no

Bacteria?....no

The dreaded viruses? no

Blossom end rot?...no

Rain? No

Wind? No

Heat? No

Cold? No

Bad seeds? No

I've experienced all of these before, but this blight has by far made me the most angry in my tomato growing quest. It's squirrels! I've sprayed no chemicals, organic or otherwise, and the tomato plants are doing great. As soon as a tomato almost gets ripe, a squirrel takes the opportunity to nibble on it. No they don't actually eat them, they just break the skin so as to ruin it for me. I hate them!!!!!!

Comments (6)

• OcalaMark
    12 years ago

I have the same problem. I have started to pick my tomato's
    just as they reach full size and let them ripen inside.
    I won't mention how I reduce my squirrel population.

Mark

• subtrop
    12 years ago

I hung red plastic balls on wires in the tomato plants, and the animals stopped eating the tomatoes. You have to hang them before your tomatoes starting to turn orange, the animals try to pick the plastics and learn that it doesn't work and won't waste their time anymore and you can harvest your tomatoes again!

• tomncath
    12 years ago

Hi Amber, I have that problem all the time. I grow two cherries next to the two 4x4s they climb down from and they can have all those, otherwise I pick all my other tomatoes just when the break off of green and ripen them inside in the shade. Your only other alternative is to get rid of them.

Tom

• tomncath
    12 years ago

SERENDIPITY!!!!!

Amber, I hope you're out there and read this follow up post. They were stealing me blind the first two hours of each morning and night until yesterday. Remember that my garden is just outside the pool cage? My pool was low and needed water so I turned the hose on and was filling the pool at the end of the day and discovered I was NOT having to chase the squirrels away from the garden arbor. Once I finish filling the pool I turned on my waterfall to the spa, which I don't usually keep running, and BINGO, no squirrels as the sun was setting :-) I am now acutely aware of how much they depend on their HEARING to keep them out of danger, find some way to get some noise in your garden and you'll be picking maters again :-)

Tom

• amberroses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's a great idea to try Tom. Maybe a wind chime or something?

• annafl
    12 years ago

Amber, I've also got to tell you that last year Christine gave me the idea to put holographic tape hanging where the wind will sway it. The scattered light scares them away. This year I haven't had problems with squirrels in the veggie garden. Knock on wood, quick!

Anna