Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rvird01

Fed my habit yesterday

Rhonda
9 years ago

Every time that I make the 2 hour drive to visit my son in Daytona Beach I end up bringing home more plants! Yesterday I got 5 very healthy 3 gallon Florida anise for only $2.50 each and 6 nicely formed 2 gallon pagoda plant for $2.99 each. And, we're getting our first rain in about a month. Turning out to be a great weekend :)

Rhonda

Comments (15)

• katkin_gw
    9 years ago

Good for you. I just bought the pagoda at Walmarts but it was more then you paid so you got a good deal. It gets real big so I am trying to find a place for it, but I had to have it. Here they do sucker a bit, but the flower is so lovely I couldn't resist either. :o)

• Tom
    9 years ago

There are several different pagoda plants. Do you know which one you guys have? The one that I have is, I believe, Clerodendrum speciosissimum.

I also have one that I think is called the Glory Blower. It has blue flowers.

I like both of these plants, but the speciosissimum has turned out to be better for attracting hummingbirds and butterflies.

There is another one that is called Clerodendrum paniculatum. I would like to get it. I thought that I had one, but it has been in the ground for over a year now and no blooms. It has gotten very tall, about ten feet. I'm not sure now what I have.

• Rhonda
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Katkin,
    I actually got the pagoda flower at a Walmart in Daytona Beach. They were on sale at half price.

Tom,
    I had picked up two earlier this Fall at UF's butterfly plant sale and they have been blooming non-stop. It is the clerodendrum paniculatum.

I got hooked on them when I saw a big one covered in swallowtails at a local garden a few years back.

Rhonda

• katkin_gw
    9 years ago

I've had the speciosissimum for years now. I just bought the paniculatum at Walmart. I had never seen it for sale around here before. The flowers on the paniculatum are like small Christmas trees in shape. Both are red. Here they both sucker and I have to keep weeding them out, but they are too pretty to ignore.

Rhoda you got a really good deal and I thought I was doing good at getting them at full price.

• katkin_gw
    9 years ago

Tom, I think the one you are talking about with blue flowers is clerodendrum viscosum. For some reason that one dies for me after a couple of years.

• Tom
    9 years ago

Gonna go to Wally's today.

I thought I had the paniculatum, but mine has not bloomed at all. I took a cutting from a huge set of these at someone's house. Now I'm doubting that I took the cutting from the right plant.

It does look like it would be great for hummingbirds and butterflies. Thanks for posting this, Rhonda.

• katkin_gw
    9 years ago

Tom, there is another one clero ugangese( I might not have spelled right) with blue flowers that they call blue butterfly bush. Those flowers are blue and white. I think it is more common and might be the one you have. :o)

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

I'm gld I saw this post...one of my neighbors has 3 large gorgeous plants that I had NO idea what it was and after seeing this post and googling "pagoda plants" I came up with this...so we're on the same page are these what you guys are calling "Pagoda"? that you saw for sale at Walmart?

Thanks so much...

Found this picture on the internet...

• Tom
    9 years ago

I just purchased two of these at the Walmart in Clermont.. I'm excited. They look like great plants.

I will try them in two different spots eventually. For now I put them in larger pots in an areal that gets partial sun. I wonder if anyone has seen hummingbirds visit them?

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Thanks to you guys I bought one today at WM and planted it close to a wall for some ldprotection...the blooms are very pretty!!

Hey Tom, I'm sure they will do great for you :o)

• katkin_gw
    9 years ago

Be sure to give it enough room, it is a big bush. Yours might die back in the winter from the cold, but it should come back from the roots in the spring, unless your ground freezes too. That is the paniculatum, the flowers have the shape of a Christmas tree. Hope it grows well for you. :o)

• Rhonda
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hope you all found your pagodas :) this is my first year planting them so I'll have to wait to see how they overwinter.

• Tom
    9 years ago

Thanks, puglvr1. I've received some feedback from people on the Hummingbird forum. They say that it is not the best for hummers, but that they do use it from time to time. It seems to be better for butterflies and other pollinators.

We will see. Right now I haven't seen a hummer for a few days--hoping that they will find my property again soon.

• laura1
    9 years ago

Hey! I have that plant. It does sucker some but not too bad (yet). Blooms all summer long.

I have to admit that right before a garden tour this plant was just in the way and I cut it to the ground...lopped it OFF! But no problem it can back and has been impressive this summer.

• Rhonda
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good info Laura. Thanks
    Rhonda