Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fishead99_gw

Gumbo Limbo

fishead99
15 years ago

I have always been a big fan of the Gumbo Limbo tree. Easy to grow from cuttings and a fast grower too. This summer I was diagnosed with cancer of the tonsil and lymph node.....

not to worry we got it with radiation 80 doses in 40 days.

I always wanted to leave this world better than I came in so

my part of my treatment was to see how many Gumbo Limbos I

could get potted and rooted before I became rotted.

I managed to get about 50 started in 3 gal. pots. Stuff is

going dormant now but in the summer of 2009 I will have the best of times donating and passing around the Gumbo Limbos

that I beleive contributed to my recovery.

p.s. If you smoke stop !

Comments (12)

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Congrats on your successes!
    I like your advice too. I watched my father die of lung cancer; he was a heavy smoker and the last thing he told my DH Jim was to stop smoking. He did and I'll always be thankful.

Wish I could take one of your Gumbo Limbos! Sadly, it wouldn't make it here in the midst of zone 9.

Kate

• corar4gw
    15 years ago

Would love a Gumbo Limbo, alas I live too far north. But I agree with your form of "self help" and the fact that you're going to make this world a better place, one tree at a time. (remember Johnnie Appleseed?) As an ex-smoker, I've come to realize that the philosiphy of "do no harm" applies to ones' self as well as the earth and all that live on it. I'm so glad you're cancer free! cora

• oldned
    15 years ago

Frankincense and Myrrh are in the same plant family as Gumbo Limbo (Burseracae)

• rainy230
    15 years ago

We think alike !! Congratulations on getting through treatments !!!I had Cancer (B/C) seemed like a never ending road of poking and prodding and surgeries. I used to plant something new before a procedure or surgey, somehow It was good therapy ( I still think of weeds as cancer cells and just love yanking them out) LOL Being in the garden alway's makes me feel good.@ years ago I had a spontaneous tear in my carotid artery.I was pretty much banned from garden...:( wasn't happy and no one else in house had any desire to garden..So now I just do it on a much smaller scale ( still have BIG plans in my head ) LOL I just plant myself on ground and work on small area's at a time.DH get's mad at me when I'm out to long but, if something is going to happen to me I'd rather be doing something I love than vacuuming! Ok didn't mean to go on and on.

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

My baby brother(not quite 50 just had a large amount of his jaw removed and still won't stop amoking.
    I love Gumbo Limbos and bought two and am trying to start some others since I have plenty of space.
    We always(we the Master Gardeners of Indian River County) get about 500 trees to give away on Earth Day Celebration in the park. Some dear person is kind enough and well off enough to donate them. Sebastian also has Champion tree Day and leftovers go there. So far it has been live oaks and maples.
    Its such fun to see the excitement on peoples faces when they get a FREE tree.But Its even more fun when I see them months or years later and they tell me about THEIR tree as they grin with pride!
    Peace and Prayers!
    Tanya

• shellfreak
    15 years ago

I have to agree with fishead-- gardening helped me when I was going through my breast cancer treatments. Congrats and continued health to all my fellow cancer survivors.
    That being said, I got a gumbo at Ricky's swap and I can't wait for it take off.

Beverly

• fishead99
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the encouraging stories.
    Best thing about Gumbo Limbos is in hurricanes they do not
    blow over the limbs just break off.
    Eyewall survivor of Frances,Jeannne and somewhat Wilma.

• imatallun
    15 years ago

Fishead, thanks for your message. I am a smoker and need to stop. Best wishes to you, hoping you have a good recovery and nice gumbo limbos to share with many deserving souls.

M

• scogebear
    15 years ago

Question about Gumbo Limbo. I see what I think are two varieties, one that clearly has the red, peeling bark, and one with a grey bark. They look similar otherwise. Is that the case, are there different varieties. I like the red bark, not so crazy about the other.

• teeka0801(7aNoVa)
    15 years ago

it had the same latin name,Bursera simaruba, but that was it. Maybe the bark changes as they age? I sure hope so, because I thought that red bark would be so attractive.

Have you smelled the leaves..very interesting scent coming out of them.

Mine is only a 3 gallon but I think I'm going to get a seven gallon,too. They have such an interesting shape and the native wildlife seem to love them.

teeka

• seagal007
    10 years ago

Wow I know this is a really old thread but I just got a gumbo limbo cutting earlier today. Im on the border of zone 9b and 10a not sure if it will grow here. I just quit smoking 3 weeks ago, 30 year addiction this thread touched my heart