Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Biosphere Wildflowers

Posted by Leekle2ManE Lady Lake, FL 9a (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 19:42

Back in October, I went to the Wings and Wildflowers festival. One of the things I picked up was a 'donation packet' of wildflower seeds that were 'generously donated' by Biosphere Consulting. On the tag it only says that it is a mix of 'several species of wildflowers that do very well in Florida'. On the sign at the donation tent where I picked it up for my $2 donation was a poster with 8 flower types included in the packet. The only one I have remembered for sure was the Blanketflower. I think Blazing Star might have been one of the others, but that leaves 6 more flowers that I don't know the name of. I have contacted Biosphere about the seed packet, but they don't seem too inclined to respond to my emails. Looking at their site and fliers, I am guessing this is their 'Purist Mix' listed on the order form as it also has 8 types, but I can not find a list of what is contained in this mix.

So... having said all that, I don't suppose anyone else maybe had visited the Wings and Wildflowers Festival and also picked up this packet? Or perhaps has ordered the Purist Mix from Biosphere? I have managed to identify the Blanketflower seeds and separated them from the mix into their own envelope, but I haven't been able to identify the other seeds yet. I did have the bright idea of getting a few of each type to germinate in dixie cups to figure out what each one was, but didn't have a bright enough idea to tape a seed or label on the cups. So even once these grow and bloom, I still won't know what seed they came from :P

Anyways, so there ya go. As always, thank you for any assistance ya'll might be able to give.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Biosphere Wildflowers

Nevermind! I think I found it. At least I found the contents of the Purist Mix.

Black-Eyed Susan
Tickseed
Blanket Flower
Clasping Coneflower
Purple Coneflower
Scarlet Sage
Showy Primrose
Standing Cypress

Now I can try looking up images of seeds of each type to identify what I have. Maybe.

o

• Posted by jason83 Zone 8b/9a (North Fl (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 4:38

I honestly never gave much thought to the idea of "wildflowers" here in Florida. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen any around here, at least not mass plantings of them. Good luck with them! Looks like all of those are heat and drought tolerant-type plants that can withstand just about, well, anything. :)

o

Yeah, the Purist pack is supposed to be wildflowers that are Native to Florida. I have most of the seeds identified and separated so that I can plant them in clumps rather than mixed together. My wife didn't really understand why I would buy a wildflower mix and then un-mix them. But my though was, $2 for a bag of 8 different wildflowers that reseed themselves year after year? I'll do it!

o

How did those seeds work out?

o

Yes. Please let us know.

o

Most of those seeds germinated, but I lost an entire flat of the seedlings last summer due to my inexperience. Still, I managed to save the Standing Cypress, a couple of Blanketflowers and a few tickseeds. Oh and lots of salvia. The Primrose and Coneflowers are the only ones I lost completely.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here