Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leekle2mane

In Loving Memory...

R.I.P Coleus, Elephant Ears and Basil.

The 10F difference between the projected low of 45F for Thursday night and the actual low of 35F did them in. Limes (even the potted Key Lime) and Pygmy Dates made it through, surprisingly since I did not put up my protection as I was only expecting temps in the 40's. Protection measures were put in place after that, though. Good thing too, last night's projected low and actual low were off by 10F as well, with the temps being 48F and 38F, respectively. Which really has me worried since they're saying a low of 37F tonight. If they keep up with the past few nights of inaccuracy, that should mean 27F sometime tonight.

Comments (9)

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

Don't dig them up yet, they may come back from the roots. :o)

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, the Elephant Ears most certainly will. The coleus may have had time to reseed themselves and some of the basil as well. I will wait until spring before I make changes.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

Try Wunderground. Select a station or two near your home for much more accurate weather forecasts and readings. Below is a link to a station in central Lady Lake but you can use the map to select the station or two closest to your home.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Wunderground - Station KFLTHEVI3 - La Zamora, The Villages, FL

• jason83
    11 years ago

Yeah welcome to Florida. Come down and freeze to death! lol... I lost my lantana, jasmines all got burned, the citrus all in tact somehow, a few other things looking flat out miserable: heliconia, tuberose, spathoglottis..many more but can't keep count. Think it will be a long, cold winter this year?

• shuffles_gw
    11 years ago

Here's what NOAA says, as of October.

�Wetter-than-average conditions across the Gulf Coast states from the northern half of Florida to eastern Texas - most of Florida might be colder-than-normal December through February

Here is a link that might be useful: NOAA winter outlook

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    11 years ago

I haven't got my more tender citrus :potted limes, lemons, blood oranges, or buddah's hand citrons into the greenhouse yet and it was 30F here 2 nights in a row. Doesn't look like they got damage at all. SOme of my other tropicals really got frost bit. Time for the mass exodus of plants into the greenhouse. My back hurts just thinking about it. THis is getting old I think I need to get moved further south before I get too old to move all this stuff lol.

• zzackey
    11 years ago

I had that happen When I lived in Vero Beach. A wrong forecast. I tend to cover and heat the greenhouse if I feel it will be even close to needng it.

• jason83
    11 years ago

I've already made up my mind that if it doesn't survive the winter here it's not getting replaced or re planted. What I refuse to part with is already inside and it's taking up half the kitchen. :)

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, same here. While I have protection around my Pygmy Date Palms, at least the three larger ones, I have resigned myself to the acceptance that they really are at the very northern edge of their survivability range (for being permanently in-ground). If I lose them, so be it. A whopping $16 down the drain. And I would get to replace them with something more applicable! I would also rather not lose my Bearss Lime, but if it gets hit, so be it. Almost all my others were picked to either reseed themselves or come back from roots in the Spring.

The only one I am really worried about is my Gopher Apple. I got it in late September and I hope I have it mulched enough and it has gotten strong enough roots to survive this coming 'cold and wet' winter. Of lesser concern is my Walters Viburnums. They have only been in the ground for about two weeks, but they are well within their range of survivability and are nicely mulched. Unfortunately they're on the north side of my house and not getting any direct sunlight until Spring comes and the sun starts tracking higher in the sky, but so far they actually seem to be enjoying the shade. After this past week's frosts, they still look vibrant, so I imagine they're taking advantage of the mild days and cool shade to send their roots deep. I hope so at least.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio