Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harvesting...

Posted by happy_fl_gardener 9a - near DeLand (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 5, 11 at 20:44

Well, my persimmons have finally finished giving me fruit. Now the papayas are starting to ripen. The first fruit ripened 3 weeks ago and now they steadily are ripening. The very first to ripen is my unknown dwarf papaya. This plant is the third generation of this variety. The person that gave me the original didn't know the variety name. The plant had been given to her.

unknown dwarf papaya fruit

The next papaya plant to ripen is one that I protected (the base) to see if it makes a difference in ripening time. I would say not by much. It's not very attractive but the fruit tastes very good just the same.

'Red Lady' papaya.

This papaya plant was purchased at Lowes in the spring. It is just now ripening fruit.

'Red Lady

For those of you wondering, yes, I do pinch off the forming fruits beginning in August to help the plant put energy in the earlier fruits. I get freezing weather every winter so I don't get many ripe fruits.

Thanks to Silvia showing us her 'Green Glaze' collard plants, I planted several this fall. This turned out to be my first meal of greens from the vegetable garden. Silvia was right. The plants are easy to grow and the leaves are pleasingly tasty.

'Green Glaze'  collards

Christine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harvesting...

I'm so envious of your papaya. Mine have frozen the last two winters before they bore fruit. I know my timing must be way off.

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 6, 11 at 6:31

That is great Christine! Papayas look very good and I am glad that you are enjoying the collards, it is one good variety that will always have room in my garden.

Silvia

o

• Posted by annafl z9b/10a Sarasota (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 6, 11 at 21:35

Looks great, Christine!

o

very nice! keep repeating to yourself, over and over..."no freeze this winter! no freeze this winter...." would be a welcome change after the last two!

o

Looks great! I've got two beano's allergic to papaya or I would grow it, too. *pout*

Funny that it didn't make much difference protecting the plant and allowing regeneration rather than starting from scratch.

Barbie

o

Thank you all for your compliments. I have extra seeds to share from the unknown dwarf papaya - the one with the long fruit. Barbie, you could grow some as ornamental. :)

Yeah, Mark. I'm not looking forward to the nasty cold.

Christine

o

If you have any extra dwarf papaya seeds I would love to have a few.
I have never heard of 'Green Glaze' collards. Is the taste different from collards I would buy at the grocery store? Where did you find the seeds? Do they sell them at the big box stores or do they need to be ordered on line?
I currently am growing some unknown collards I purchased as starter plants. Would it be too late to start more from seed?
Sorry for all the question.
Ariel

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here