Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happy_fl_gardener

Harvesting...

Well, my persimmons have finally finished giving me fruit. Now the papayas are starting to ripen. The first fruit ripened 3 weeks ago and now they steadily are ripening. The very first to ripen is my unknown dwarf papaya. This plant is the third generation of this variety. The person that gave me the original didn't know the variety name. The plant had been given to her.

The next papaya plant to ripen is one that I protected (the base) to see if it makes a difference in ripening time. I would say not by much. It's not very attractive but the fruit tastes very good just the same.

This papaya plant was purchased at Lowes in the spring. It is just now ripening fruit.

For those of you wondering, yes, I do pinch off the forming fruits beginning in August to help the plant put energy in the earlier fruits. I get freezing weather every winter so I don't get many ripe fruits.

Thanks to Silvia showing us her 'Green Glaze' collard plants, I planted several this fall. This turned out to be my first meal of greens from the vegetable garden. Silvia was right. The plants are easy to grow and the leaves are pleasingly tasty.

Christine

Comments (7)