Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bamboorabbit, I have a blueberry question!

Posted by FLgardenmom 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 1, 11 at 20:45

OK, I have three plants that I planted in the spring, Emerald, Misty Blue, and Sunshine blue. I followed your three rules of blueberry planting pretty closely. I have to admit that I have not fertilized them every month, and I see October is when I should stop anyhow. Nonetheless, they've been doing great. In the last few weeks, though, my Emerald has started getting leaves with reddish tips. Before taking a picture, I was looking through old posts to see if I could figure out my problem and found the below post of yours and your plants have the same thing. Is this a normal or OK thing for the leaves to do?
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/flgard/msg0210493717701.html

TIA,
Becca

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bamboorabbit, I have a blueberry question!

Hi Becca,

I'm not sure the don't fertilize after October applies to you if you are in zone 10. The reason up here we stop is we don't want to encourage new growth that will get damaged by the cold.

I'm sure you know that you are going to have trouble getting the required chill hours, but is a good experiment.

If the leaves are new and have reddish tips it is asking for more nitrogen. In my post you linked to those are actually old last years leaves that had lasted through the winter and not fallen yet. The tips on those leaves are more brown than red. You could hit your plants with a foliar feed of acid miracle grow or just fertilize them....i'm just not sure what would be best in zone 10.

o

Thanks for the info about fertilizing. I did that today. Noticed that some new growth has the red spots too. Ugh, I'm guessing that's not good. Rust maybe?

o

Nope the red spots mean FEED ME!!!!! Just another sign you are low on nitrogen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here