Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abnorm

New Raised Beds

abnorm
10 years ago

I've been re-building the raised beds in the garden.....The old boards and timbers are rotted and termite eaten......when the old boards are removed the bed still retains it's shape.....the neighboring tree roots have completely filled the beds!

I decided on a new design........the basic building block is the 6" x 6' pressure treated fence slat.....I paint the interior side with an oil paint to separate Veggie from PT'd wood..... $10 gallon of Red Oil paint on the clearance table

For a comfortable height I'm using Three boards high......a 4x4 post 18" in each corner.......Deck screws connect all

doug

Comments (9)

• abnorm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I try to standardize the bed to a 2' or 3' width.......the length generally requires joining sections within that 6' max......I allow two sections to join with a single post

A liner is used to SLOW the tree roots.....I'm Beta testing various tarps and Visqueen

For soil in these beds I've used the original bed's soil/compost

• abnorm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the first of the new beds this season shortly after completion......It's larger than the "standard-design" allows but it follows the original bed size

It's filled with about a cubic yard of last season's 511 mix......well composted and fertilized...... Onions on the big side ......Rattlesnake Beans on the trellis side

dougandpam

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

Nice work, you are tempting me. One question..is the paint food safe?

Jane

• whgille
    10 years ago

Hi Doug

The beds look very nice! you are keeping very busy, good for for you!
    My beds also need rework done and we are going to be doing one at a time, the garden work is never finish.:)

Silvia

• scents_from_heaven
    10 years ago

I like your new design and the red paint. You have been a budy boy. Now when are you coming over with the chain saw to take down my small tree? The trunk is approximately 12" acrpss and it is about 14' tall and right against the house. There are several shrubs that could use a chain saw. LOL I am going to rent one and have some fun using the money Ted's dad sent.

• abnorm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry Linda....you heard from da'Boss.....I agree the RED sure brightens the garden

Jane.....I know you worry about chemicals.....The Oil paint bonds tight to the wood, dries hard and stays in place.....I like it better than the ACQ treatment (copper) on the inside of the bed next to my plants....Food Safe ??????

HiYa Silvia........Thanks for the kind words and well wishes......Busy means less chance of getting in trouble :-)

Let me add a photo of Mark and Judy's..... Jewel Orchids .....from the last spring swap

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

Your raised beds look very good. What do you plan to grow in them?

• abnorm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Kat..........

Next season I expect to grow my tomatos on the long trellised sections.......replacing the plastic bins with additional beds

The center beds will support salad goods......lettuces, scallion onions, radish etc......and herbs tucked in a corner or two

dougandpam

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

Found this interesting article with ideas about raised beds. I think the storage tanks are cool looking!

Jane

Here is a link that might be useful: [Raised beds[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/8-materials-for-raised-garden-beds-stsetivw-vs~16676705)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm