Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
derbyka

Extra Short Day Onion transplants for anyone in the St. Pete area

derbyka
11 years ago

If anyone here in the St. Pete area wants any of my extra Dixondale transplants, let me know. I have Texas Legend (the new short day variety this year - more nutritious, bigger, and longer storage than the Texas sweet). I also have yellow granex and southern belle red hybrid (which did well for me last year even planted in late Jan). I also posted this in the Florida exchange forumn. I don't have to have a trade for them - I ended up throwing a bunch away last year and don't want to do that again. I am looking for purple carrot seeds, oakleaf (red or green) lettuce seed, arugula seeds or transplant, borage plants, snapdragons, and maybe some other things that I can't remember.

Comments (15)

• stpetegardener
    11 years ago

Hey there derbyka, I think we are a good match for a trade, I have oakleaf lettuce seed, arugula seed & transplant, borage seed & transplant, and a lot of other veggie & herb starts. I live in S St Pete, send me a message & we could meet up sometime after the holiday :)

• tomncath
    11 years ago

Hi Derek,

I'd like to try some TL and SBRH, I've already got 130 YG set from seed. Want any more bamboo?

Tom

• derbyka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Stpetegardner - I'd love to make a trade. What days/times are good for you?

Tom - I think you have the wrong person. I picked up some extra everglade tomato volunteers from you a couple of years ago. I would be happy to give you some TL and SBRH. I grew the SBRH last year and the Texas Sweet which was the parent of the Texas Legend. The both did very well for me. I got several 3" onions even planting almost in February and densely inter-planting with lettuce and carrots. I am hoping they do amazing given lots of space and early planting. Let me know if you are interested.

• tomncath
    11 years ago

Sorry about that. I'd like to try them, I have quite a few snapdragon seeds and always have tons of tomato seeds if you want to try anything different.

Tom

• derbyka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tom - I will be right near your place tomorrow around 4:00/4:30. Will you be around?

• tomncath
    11 years ago

Yes, feel free to drop by, Cathy and I will be here :-)

• derbyka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I remember the area where you live but not the exact address. If you want, you could PM it to me.

StPeteGardner - I have plenty if you are still interested too.

• tomncath
    11 years ago

CYE ;-)

• stpetegardener
    11 years ago

Hey derbyka, I am still interested, you're welcome to come over to my little farm or I could come over to your place. I'll send you a PM with my number, address and availability. Thanks~

Tom~ if you are taking down some more bamboo I would love to come help.

• derbyka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Tom and Derek for the awesome trades! We will have to see how these onions do in different parts of St. Pete

• derbyka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Tom and Derek for the awesome trades! We will have to see how these onions do in different parts of St. Pete

• tomncath
    11 years ago

My pleasure, let me know how the purple sugar snaps do....

Derek, I have about a dozen poles right now but will be trimming more the week before Christmas, I'll drop you a line then.

Tom

• derbyka
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tom and Derek - how did you guys make out with those onion transplants? I was pretty impressed with the Texas Legend. At least 1/3 of mine have been at least 1 lb with the biggest at 1.4 lbs. Derek - you just use organic fertilizer like fish emulsion right? I am curious how they did for you as I would like to not use synthetics if possible.

• shuffles_gw
    10 years ago

derbyk, I usually use chemical fertilizer but this year depended on rabbit pellets tilled into the soil. I was worried they weren't doing well but we have a nice crop. Most are in the range of 12 to 17 ounces. Usually also, we space them five inches. This year, at four inches, we had very few doubles - but no lunkers like many years. These are Texas Granex. Only one turned out white.

• tomncath
    10 years ago

Hi Deb,

TL didn't do much here, my Granex grown from seed did exceptionally well. The only problem is that I only grew 70 so we don't have many to store :-[ But, shuffles is my buddy, I think he grew 300+ :-)

Tom