Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which nut tree?

Posted by chrisandjenny2003 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 7, 11 at 22:07

I want to plant a couple of nut trees in my yard. The site I am buying from says to plant 2 to ensure pollination but one of them may self polinate. I am deciding between a pecan tree and a carpathian english walnut. Being both can become very large trees, should either of these be avoided within 10 feet of buildings, concrete driveways or sidewalks? Both trees are zone 9 trees, so I am okay there. Any experience with either tree and any care suggestions or planting recommendations are appreciated. Oh, one will be planted at the back of my property and one will be closer to my home but 10-12 feet away. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which nut tree?

Florida Urban Forestry Council recommends in Right Tree, Right Place that pecan should only be planted in large open areas 30' from power lines and away from driveways.

Grandmother had a pecan tree in her backyard. They do get huge and I think one of the tallest non-pine trees here. LOTS of pecans though. Base root system, if I recall correctly, was pretty massive and it was surrounded by a carport about 10 feet away. From what I can recall, the concrete in some areas was cracked due to the root systems.

o

Ten to 12 feet is extremely close to the house for a pecan tree, IMO. It will eventually develop a huge canopy over the house and it's hard to sleep for a couple weeks when pecans are falling on your house. It sounds like large hail. Walnuts are even bigger and heavier (so would be louder, possibly roof-damaging.) Pecan trees are also prone to dropping huge limbs for no apparent reason. It's a LOT easier to harvest pecans than walnuts.

o

You must live very far from a supermarket to want to go this much trouble for nuts. Either that or you are... nuts?

o

• Posted by boson Delray BeachFlorida (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 8, 11 at 13:19

Hi chrisandjenny2003,

If you want to be a little adventurous, why not try to grow
Sacha Inchi nuts (Plukenetia volubilis). These nuts grow in a vine so not much space is required compared to a tree. One problem could be to find seeds, because it's a rare plant. And I am not really sure if it's suitable for your temperature zone.

Tomas

o

Uh- agreeing with a PP on the dropping of limbs. Pecans as they age especially are prone to wind damge and will drop large branches. But, they are EASY to take care of....

ABSOLUTELY massive trees. Open - but huge!

Barbie

o

There's nothing like a fresh picked pecan to eat. They taste so much better than the store bought ones. They are easy to grow and don't need much care. They produce well every other year. We picked up about 50 lbs. withot barely trying to. It was a great year for them here.

o

If I had the space, I'd grow pecans too - & lots of other things as well! Organic nuts are very expensive & rare to find in most stores.

I do have a macadamia nut tree that is still quite young - they do not get nearly as large as pecans & are evergreen.I got it for $10 - which is less than a pound of macadamia nuts these days....

Here is a link that might be useful: Macadamia facts

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here