Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with struggling Hibiscus

Posted by alys_esmond 9b Orlando (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 22:23

I have a couple of Hibiscus plants that are struggling.

The are in separate areas of the garden and are grouped with other Hibiscus that are doing just fine. I've already lost one to similar symptoms.

There are no pests visible. The suffering plants have little new growth and are literally feet shorter than their companions planted at the same time. They have much fewer leaves and what leaves they have are tiny. If they manage to squeeze out a flower without the bud dropping off first, the flowers are smaller too, and are sometimes misshapen.

They get full sun and receive about 10 minutes of misting daily. I feed quarterly with Vigoro ornamental fertilizer.

Any thoughts? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with struggling Hibiscus

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 6:21

It could be thrips or midge gall making the buds drop. Have you tried the Bayers systemic?

o

Have you tried the hibiscus forum on Garden Web? I have found them very helpful with problems like this one

o

The Bayer All In One for Rose and Flower is wonderful.

o

I've dosed everyone today with the Bayer 3-in-1 liquid, and gave some extra to my Autumn Rouge Azaleas too.

Which leads to more questions:
The label says that in sandy soils the frequency can be reduced to every 4-5 weeks... How do you know when to re-apply?

Will this stuff hurt my chickens if they snag a leaf or flower bud?

Thanks y'all!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here