Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happy_fl_gardener

Garden Greens

This is Joi Choi, a white stemmed bok choy. It's very tasty in a stir fry. The stems stay crispy and tender.

Comments (19)

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is a red leafed bok choy.

Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm growing a variety of collards that is new to me. It's called Champion and it sure is living up to its name, so far. It is a rapid grower.

Original Author
    11 years ago

In between the greens I have some rows of dandelion plants. They are a red veined variety that has a mild flavor.

Original Author
    11 years ago

This is a more distant view of a corner of my garden that contains the Champion collards, Dinosaur kale, and dandelion greens.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Silvia is so right about the "Orlando" eggplant. What a great producer!

Christine

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

Your veggie garden is so neat and attractive. Mine is a mess by comparison. :o)

• judyk_2008 9a DeLeon Sprs. (NW Volusia)
    11 years ago

Your garden looks great. Are you using oak leaves as a mulch? And do you have any problems with slugs or pill bugs in it?

Original Author
    11 years ago

My garden can be seen from the street so I try to keep it looking attractive. I do use oak leaves as mulch. I ran out so some areas are bare. I have seen some pill bugs but not very many. My beets and Swiss chard have gotten a lot of holes in the leaves so I laid down some slug bait. Since it seems to have helped, I guess I do have slugs.

Christine

• oukay
    11 years ago

Just be super cautious with pets around slug bait. It can easily kill them. I prefer to allow my slugs to happily drown in beer!
    Your greens look amazing!

• castorp
    11 years ago

Your garden looks great, Christine! And you're waaaay ahead of me, timewise. My greens are still tiny.

Bill

Original Author
    11 years ago

oukay ~ Fear not, (about the slug bait). My garden is fenced.

Bill ~ This year I planted the whole thing for the first time, 26'x70'. The west end was a bit too shady in the winter but we had more trees trimmed so it's got more sun even when the sun is lower in the sky. It's okay that your greens are still tiny. This colder weather has caused a growth spurt in a lot of my cold season veggies. I imagine it's because they aren't under as much stress.

Christine

• castorp
    11 years ago

Ha, ha, you're vegetable garden is now nearly bigger than my whole back yard!

Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm growing a row of calaloo, like what Silvia grew. It was getting badly eaten up by bugs until the colder weather came. They're going to make lots of seeds, so Bill, if you want some let me know. Bill, my garden is the same size. It's just that I'm not growing flowers and dragon fruit at the west end anymore.

Original Author
    11 years ago

I've got 36 broccoli plants in the garden - 3 different varieties. I don't know what I was thinking. I should have planted less broccoli and more cauliflower. My cauliflower seedlings are quite small because I got a late start. They're not even planted in the garden yet. I'm going to pull the bush green bean patch today. That will give me some extra space.

You can see a small section of my carrot patch. I dedicated a lot of space to carrots with different colors.

Original Author
    11 years ago

The Red Russian Kale is growing well. I know that my greens are getting large, but that's a good thing because I feed the over grown leaves to my chickens.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, my Swiss chard (and beets, not in photo) has been badly eaten up by something. I put down some slug bait, but that may not be the problem. Siliva, you mentioned covering some of your greens. Do you think that it will work for chard and beets? What exactly do you recommend?

The chard varieties that I have planted are perpetual chard and rainbow chard.

Christine

• whgille
    11 years ago

Christine - I use an insect barrier cloth on any crop that doesn't need pollination and I don't want to spray for bugs.
    I have no idea about the set up in your garden so it is difficult for me to recommend anything.

Silvia

Original Author
    11 years ago

Silvia - Well, if you come across an old picture of a plant with the insect barrier cloth on it, it may help figure out what to buy.

A comment about 'Champion' collards in the third picture: I would like to let everyone know that they were delicious and quite tender. They are worth growing.

Christine

Original Author
    11 years ago

Silvia - After a search, I found that Gardeners Supply and Territorial Seed both have the summer weight insect barriers. What a wonderful idea for keeping the insects out of the "greens". I saw what I needed to see so you need not bother about a photo.

Christine