Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexcortez

A great Mustard Leaves Recipe

alexcortez
12 years ago

Last year I had this unidentified vegetables in my yard that survived neglect, the weather, and all the bugs that hit the yard. I eventually figured out it was mustard leaves and decided to knowingly plant this year. After many trials and experimentation I finally figured a recipe that got everyone coming back for more. So I thought I'd share:

Mustard Leaves Soup

Lamb Broth (I am sure any other would work)

Big bunch of mustard

3 medium potatoes diced

2 small tomatoes

1 medium onion diced

2 garlic cloves minced and fried (optional)

cinnamon to taste

pepper to taste

salt to taste

tablespoon carambola juice (you can use lemon juice instead)

I removed the mustard stalks and then chopped them.

I chopped thinly the leaves.

I boiled water then dunked first the leaves for a couple of minutes then removed them and drained them, then dunked the stalks in the same water for 3/4 minutes then removed and drained them.

Then I combined everything in the pan and slow cooked for a long time.

I also had turnip leaves but even after boiling, they stayed bitter while the mustard leaves had a great flavor. So I still have the turnip green and not sure what to do with them. Any ideas?

Comments (5)

• imagardener2
    12 years ago

Something else I've done with mustard leaves, which re-seeded themselves from a first planting with vigor: use them as green mulch. I pulled a bunch and put them under a rose that was pretty sad and it burst into green growth after a year of just sitting there.

• User
    12 years ago

I always planted wild mustard in SC, but I had to stop eating it, because the oxalic acid in it was causing me problems with my bad kidney. I can eat a tiny bit of mustard mixed with other greens. I like mixing it with collards to give it a little zing.

• alexcortez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You got me worried so I looked it up. Apparently oxalic acid is not an issue for healthy people but can be an issue in some cases

"What Is Oxalic Acid?

Oxalic acid is a naturally occurring chemical in plants and animals and is also consumed in a variety of different foods such as leafy greens, nuts, seeds, most berries, certain fruits, soy and soy products, meat and dairy products. In large amounts, oxalic acid is poisonous, but toxic levels are not found in foods that we normally eat.

The main controversy surrounding oxalic acid in food is whether or not they contribute to the formation of kidney stones. About 80% of the kidney stones formed by adults in the U.S.A. are composed of calcium oxalate. Oxalic acid binds with other minerals such as calcium which form a salt known as an oxalate. Oxalic acid interferes with the absorption of calcium in foods because they bind with it, making it unusable by your body. Without oxalic acid, foods such as spinach and kale would have a much higher, bio-available calcium content than they do because it is bound up with oxalic acid. These oxalates are usually passed though the urine but in vulnerable individuals, they may crystallize, forming larger stones that cause excruciating pain and require medical attention."

And some detailed information on oxalates from WHole Foods

Here is a link that might be useful: Oxalates

• alexcortez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is also what I found in my research"

"The cholesterol-lowering ability of steamed mustard greens is second only to steamed collard greens and steamed kale in a recent study of cruciferous vegetables"

"rank high on the list of commonly eaten cruciferous vegetables, and in one study, were second only to Brussels sprouts in terms of total glucosinolate content. Glucosinolates are phytonutrients that provide us with unique health benefits because they can be converted into isothiocyanates (ITCs) that have cancer-preventive properties. "

And many others benefits and a high source of calcium.

More details on link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: On mustard health

• User
    12 years ago

Yes, they are o.k. for anyone who doesn't have kidney problems, but believe me, if you do (I have a spongey kidney on one side), the pain isn't worth the benefits. I have to be very careful of how much of oxalate containing veggies I eat, which is sad, because they are some of my favorites. There ar so many plants that have oxylates, like some of the tropical root veggies and cranberry hibiscus.