Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whgille

Have a great Holidays!

whgille
9 years ago

To all of you in the garden forum, I wish you a very happy Holidays and I hope that you are keeping busy with your gardens.

The weather is one day hot and another cold, the big variety of tomatoes are having trouble adjusting, at least the cherries are fine.

This morning tomatoes

Greens are plentiful!

Ornamentals anf flowers are doing great

This is from Amber

This is from Tom

This is from M

Almost ripe...

Are you keeping busy in your garden? what are you doing? remember we all learn from each other, everyone's knowledge is very important, share your experiences with us.

Silvia

Comments (11)

• GregNow
    9 years ago

You have a nice garden there. It looks like you've done quite a lot this year, you even have bananas! Well done! Keep up the good work and Happy Holiday to you too!

• katkin_gw
    9 years ago

Happy Holidays to you and Willy. We are well and I still keep improving my garden. I expanded the back and now have only a little grass with planting beds going all the way to the sea wall.

• whgille
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Greg, I am always enjoying the garden, the harvest of veggies and fruits, like to see the ornamentals too.

I have greens every day, citrus too.

Hi Kathy, good to hear your report and know that you and Ralph are fine. I have to check on your beautiful garden one of these days...

I added some new plants yesterday

And got the Christmas tree

Silvia

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

Silvia, so great to see you posting! As usual, your garden looks great. This year has been the best so far for us with the greens. We have collards, kale and lettuce. The collards are past knee-high and the kale is almost that high. The chickens are getting a daily treat from them. Whenever I want to use them I just go out and break off the lower leaves and leave the tops to keep growing. The broccoli and Brussels sprouts are up but not gangbusters like the greens. The peppers and eggplant have pretty much stopped producing. But if they make it through the Winter they might come back in the Spring.We had hot peppers so much this past year that I had to pickle, freeze and dry a bunch and still gave some away. The snap peas are growing and producing but they are not going as well as previous years. So every year is different. One thing we did this year was to put down clear plastic before we prepared the Winter garden to solarize the soil. I think it helped. We have also amended the soil with chicken manure compost since we have chickens now. We also have some tomato plant volunteers in several places in the garden, must be seeds from the compost pile. Of course if it freezes they will go by-by.

• whgille
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Rita!

It is so nice to know your updates in the garden, and I agree with you about the best season for greens and you did the right things solarizing the soil and adding chicken manure, everything helps for better harvests.

My brother and his wife were here for a few days when it got very cold, they enjoyed the food that I prepared for them, most of it from the garden. Every day I gave them greens done differently, she even said that she is going to plant greens next time in her garden, I really like the oriental greens this time, they are so mild like a lettuce but are crispy and last a long time after harvest.
    I made the Thankgiving stuffing using the persimmons that I dried, it was fantastic!

Remember I told you that apples don't do very well in my area? Well, we took one apple and planted a white mulberry because it is in the front of the house and I don't want the stains.

I still have the arugula from Italy, so good!

Cherry tomatoes

Planted the garlic from Larry

Begonias are blooming

Silvia

• katkin_gw
    9 years ago

Yes, it has been a long time since you and Willy were here or us there. We really should get together again.
    Hugs.

• whgille
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes Kathy, time flies and our gardens for sure look different after all that time.

Today I had a hay delivery and the lady from the feed store asked me about the tangerine in the front of the house, she said it is one of the few left in the area. The disease is killing all the citrus, how sad.

I am letting this white vine to grow with the roses, I like the look.

Silvia

• vegasqueen
    9 years ago

Happy holidays everyone.. Silvia your garden is amazing. Here are a few pictures of what's happening in mine.. As you can see papayas are doing great. Eating a ripe one every other day. Christine your no name papaya is growing nicely no fruit yet.. Bananas ripening. Will be making monkey bars. Hopefully pineapples will ripen soon. The tomatoes and collards are gifts from Silvia. Received collards as seedlings last year. Yeah! They are still alive. Happy gardening everyone.

• whgille
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Maxine!

Your garden is impressive! I am so happy for you, everything looks great and you are eating healthy that is for sure.

I am enjoying the kale salads and the tomatoes, every day I make something different, we are so lucky to have our gardens.

Happy Holidays to you and family!

Silvia

• User
    9 years ago

Tomatoes we got from you at the swap doing great! Black cherry? Happy holidays to you and your family. M&J

• whgille
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mark, those are the blueberry tomatoes, first time than I am growing, mine look different, they are supposed to get red in the bottom, but they are taking forever.

{{gwi:2125897}}

I am making the best tomato and kale salads for the Holiday parties

{{gwi:2125899}}

{{gwi:2125900}}

Happy Holidays to you and Judy!

{{gwi:2125901}}

Silvia