Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomncath

Companion Planting - tomatoes and pole beans?

tomncath
14 years ago

So, I'm planning some bucket Husky Cherry Reds as gifts and if I use the double-cage tower below would it be possible to plant three pole beans along each of the vertical supports, or would the tomato roots do them in?

I know, the pole beans may just be a white fly magnet resulting in TYLCV on the tomato....

Tom

{{gwi:26462}}

Comments (9)

• whgille
    14 years ago

Good morning Tom

I usually plant tomatoes with different veggies on the raised bed, pole beans give nitrogen to the tomatoes.

In the container might be different, I only do 1 veggie at the time because of the size. About the bugs, I don't know.

I had pole beans this season with tomatoes, broccoli, cabbage, flowers and they all did well.

Now I have black lima beans, brandy boy tomatoes and morning glory. They are doing well

{{gwi:23143}}

If you put the husky cherry with the runner beans, it will look very ornamental

{{gwi:23139}}

Silvia

• tomncath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cool Silvia,

I'm going to try it and see how it goes. I never though about adding flowers but that's also a cool idea. I've just discovered Morning Glory's and love them. StPeteFl gave me one and now I'm hooked and MUST have flowers in the veggie garden from now on...been looking at several different MG varieties to grow on my cages. Any suggestions? And, do you find that they are perennial here?

BTW, I'm pulling two Mahoi pups tomorrow, one for you so I'll be sending a package to you next week.

Tom

• whgille
    14 years ago

Tom

The Jeminez pole beans are not only beautiful and showy, but they are delicious! When we gave it to the chef he said Wow!

{{gwi:23141}}

Morning glories are a beautiful flower and I think will use you less space than beans, think of the decorative plant arrangements, they crowd anything there. And it grows well.

Since I don't live here for a long time, I don't have all the answers but I think morning glories are perennial. But even so, I will treat them as annuals because I like to change the look of my garden often. I only leave alone the fruit trees.:o)

I saw in another post a more beautiful variety of morning glory, called flying saucers, I am including the link.

And also order a beautiful dark purple variety with a yellow center. I will plant it with the next garden look.

When that come I will send you some of the light blue variety that I have and the purple.

And thank you very much for anything that you send me.

Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: morning glory flying saucers

• SaintPFLA
    14 years ago

Hey Tom!

Glad to hear you are enjoying your Morning Glory! I have more MG seeds I can give you. I have way more than I need, actually. Morning Glory hates the cold and will die to the ground in temps close to freezing, but will come right back in the spring. Also, don't forget about Sky Vine as mine is blooming up a storm right now!

I just pulled seeds from my native Florida Honeysuckle (Coral honeysuckle - Lonicera sempervirens). I have a few extra seeds and just potted some into seed starting pots (fingers crossed!). What makes Coral Honeysuckle so great is it's not invasive and stays within-bounds. Plus, humming birds are very attracted to it from what I'm told.

I also started Esperanza from seed and the babies are doing great! I transplanted into slightly bigger pots (1.25) in the hopes that they will need the space.

Right now, I'm finding that everything I have planted is taking forever to grow. Perhaps its all this gloomy wet weather that we have been having?

• permajamie
    14 years ago

what is TYLCV? Maybe that's what my tomatoes have, their growth seems to be stunted.

• thonotorose
    14 years ago

Tom,

Those stacked cages are way cool. Are they joined by hog nosed rings? Or what...?

Veronica

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    14 years ago

This is a good question! I've thought about it myself & 1 thing that concerns me (besides them possibly being bad companions, chemistry-wise) is that the beans may shade the tomatoes out too much; tomatoes need more sun than beans....

P.S. I believe the majority of morning glories are annuals.

• tomncath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Boy are the Buc's bombing out right now!

Silvia - those Jeminez beans are beautiful. I know you sent me some but I must have returned them in the last batch of things I sent back you way. Thanks for the links on the MG's, I'll definitely be looking.

SPF - I'm looking forward to trying some more of your vining flowers :-) I just set the tomatoes in buckets yesterday and we'll be off later this month so I'll drop you a line to see if we can get together.

PJ - TYLCV, once the white files transmit the virus to the tomato plant your done....

Veronica - they are put together with 1/8" wire rope clips.

Carol - I know Morning Glories are annuals in most places but here where we get no frost I think they may actually survive year round. That's sure the case with okra, and I believe the Everglades Morning Glory is perennial.

Tom

• whgille
    14 years ago

Hi Tom

Thanks in advance for the package.

And I am going to send you the morning glory seeds, I have the light blue and this purple.

We are going for the purple theme for Christmas, the ornaments on the tree are purple and all the other decorations in the house.

And I also remember why I did not plant morning glory in Arizona, it is because they were illegal, that is another reason to think that they can be perennial in places that don't get frost. I know in my childhood home nothing ever got planted, most things were perennial. :o)

I harvested the lima beans yesterday and some tomatoes, they were both very productive! the flowers too.

The ones on the left are for cooking and the ones on the right for seed saving. I know that you don't like limas but maybe you did not have a good one? :o)

I love this black lima beans!

Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: morning glory star of yelta

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH